bsoltan

Questions (which-do-not-deserve-their-own-thread) Thread

Random question: Does anyone on here have experience in the IT Forensics area? I was thinking I'd like to some training in that area and was wondering if anyone could advise on suitable training courses?

Probably a long shot I expect.

1 hour ago, mus422 said:

Random question: Does anyone on here have experience in the IT Forensics area? I was thinking I'd like to some training in that area and was wondering if anyone could advise on suitable training courses?

Probably a long shot I expect.

I think Thorz is your man but not sure how active he is on here these days

Anyone know if there is a way I can limit the max temperature of my gpu?  It's a MSI GTX670 OC with a stock cooler, i've recently gave it a good clean with an air duster but it keeps getting very hot (over 100 c while gaming, 45 c idle/browsing the web) and is causing shut downs that you have to wait 10minutes before you can turn the pc back on.  I've tried using Afterburner which had no effect and i've tried setting a custom curve for the fan in \Nvidia control panel but that doesn't stop the temperature going over 100 c and just makes thing noisy.

Cheers.

20 minutes ago, Shogun said:

You might have to strip it down and re-paste the GPU itself. If it's constantly going over 100 C then the paste might have dried out? Worth a shot for a few quid on paste :)

Might give this a try over the easter fortnight as i'm off for two weeks.  I've got a tube of Arctic Silver Ceramique2 that's a little over a year old so that should still be ok, I might redo the cpu while i'm at it.

Just in case changing the thermal paste doesn't work, has anyone had any experiance with something like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Arctic-Cooling-Accelero-Graphics-Cooler/dp/B006DAD8HS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1491600538&sr=8-1&keywords=arctic+accelero+mono

11 hours ago, djmagnifique said:

Just in case changing the thermal paste doesn't work, has anyone had any experiance with something like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Arctic-Cooling-Accelero-Graphics-Cooler/dp/B006DAD8HS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1491600538&sr=8-1&keywords=arctic+accelero+mono

Yes. I put one of those, or something similar onto a GTX580 a few years ago, due to hight temps and fan noise.

Highly recommended. There's a thread on here about it, somewhere...

Here: 

I stuck it out until August 2013 and then got one of these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005FYCFG8/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Cheers Nige.  I had looked at the Twin Turbo II but I think it's too long for my current (cheap) case.

I bought a new air duster (different brand) today which blew alot more dust out of the fans, I guess my old air duster was just a bit shit.  I've increased the speed on the case and cpu fans and now it sits happily at 35c on the gpu and an average 30c on the cpu while idle, under gaming load for an hour or so it hit a steady 80c on the gpu with only 56% fan and an average 54c on the cpu so i'm happy for now but will keep that cooler in mind if I need one in the future.

Happy Days!

You may find that when you upgrade your card temps are no longer an issue enough to get an after-market cooler.

I replaced the 580 with a 770 , which ran idle at 35C, albeit with the evga stock fans fixed at 41% minimum in the gpu bios.

The 1060 I got earlier this year runs at 29C idle with fans at 0%.

Card temps and noise have certainly got much lower in the past few years!

16 hours ago, djmagnifique said:

Cheers Nige.  I had looked at the Twin Turbo II but I think it's too long for my current (cheap) case.

I bought a new air duster (different brand) today which blew alot more dust out of the fans, I guess my old air duster was just a bit shit.  I've increased the speed on the case and cpu fans and now it sits happily at 35c on the gpu and an average 30c on the cpu while idle, under gaming load for an hour or so it hit a steady 80c on the gpu with only 56% fan and an average 54c on the cpu so i'm happy for now but will keep that cooler in mind if I need one in the future.

Out of curiosity what air duster did you get?

Anyone know anything about mountain bikes?

I need to replace the chainset on my bike, it was a cheap bike just to get me to work and back but the teeth have worn out after 16 months and I sometime get chain slip when setting off.  I've seen a chainset online that i'm thinking of getting however it says it is a 9 speed one and my bike is currently on a 7 speed chain and cassette, would it work ok?  Also i'm guessing that all square taper chainsets are the same size fiting as I can't find anything saying otherwise.

Also do I need to match the current number of teeth or can it be something close to it?

I am hoping to get about another 18 months out of the bike before upgrading to something better.

Cheers.

2 hours ago, djmagnifique said:

Has anyone got a spare key for Windows 7 starter?  I'm wanting to upgrade the wife's netbook (samsung n130) to something a bit more recent.  Cheers.

I have a Samsung netbook that died and that had Win7 on, so should be able to get the key off that for you, but meantime just install without entering a key, you'll get 30 days to activate.

Probably only for Shogun, this one, but we have some very knowledgeable members here so maybe not:

Can someone explain to me the concept of electrically noisy appliances? They've been blamed for broadband issues in the past and homeplugs all cite noisy electricals as a limiting factor.

I don't understand this - we have wiring standards and electrical safety standards, and surely most appliances follow a pretty standard design?

So you get a kettle and it's 12V and however many watts. You plug it in and it takes electric from the supply, but it's surely not feeding anything back into the mains circuit? So how does it cause interference? 

It's a slightly more advanced topic, way above my pay grade, or even my bosses paygrades to be honest.

It's also do with with Physics and electro magnetic interference cause by motors and such (think more about your fridge/freezer compressor when it starts up) when they are running.

This explains it much better than I ever could - https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_interference

Anybody use Spotify?

I'm puzzled by my Daily Mix choices, none of which include my favourite band, loads of random stuff I may have listened to once or twice but none of my actual favourites even though I've followed them etc. Any idea what I need to do to make them appear in a mix? 

The more you listen, the more they'll appear. You'll have just the one Daily Mix to begin with but once you've listened to a larger number of songs (i.e. given it more data) it'll get a better idea of the kind of stuff you like/might like and begin to put together more than one mix.

Yeah that's what I thought but I now have six daily Mixes none of which include anything by either SLF or The Stone Roses. Strange thing is we have the Family account and they appear on my daughters where I have some stuff like Rihanna appear on mine that i've never listened to.