Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Barry

Changes\Updates

26 posts in this topic

This topic is to note any changes that have or are going to be made to the board.

First change you'll all notice is Admins have their names in Red and Mods have their names in Blue.

I'm looking into the Spam (we had some within 5 mins of the server move!) and seeing what i can do.

Following the IPB 3.4 update, you'll notice some changes to the Text Editior and how it displays Quotes/BBCode. It previews everything in real time now rather than showing you the code.

You'll also start to see use of the Best Answer feature in the Tech Support board where the admins/mods (and maybe the topic starter) can highlight the best answer to highlight it for people who may have the problem in the future. These currently don't display in the non-default themes, but they will shortly. Example: 

Custom Theme "Spectrum" has been updated to support new IPB3.4 Features.

Carbon Blue to follow in the next couple of days once the skin update is available.

If you use these themes, make sure to clear your cache.

Carbon Blue Skin has now been updated to support IPB3.4

Please clear your cache if you use the skin.

Following update to IPB3.4.1, the issue with New Posts on the mobile theme showing as being posted by "Array" has now been resolved.

madwedge likes this

Made a small change to the forum order -

General Discussion now renamed Gaming Discussion and incorporates the Reviews/Views/Opinion Section.

White Noise now renamed Off Topic.

Interesting Finds is now Bargains/Interesting Finds

Trading Post is renamed Goodwill/Trades.

Also, your forum accounts work on the main site, so if you're logged in on the forums you should be logged in on the main site (only really useful for commenting on the articles if you ever feel the need to).

madwedge likes this

Forum logins are now via HTTPS for added security. I discovered that IPB sends all Usernames and Passwords in plaintext by default so i've enabled secure login to avoid this.

Main site should also be HTTPS as well.

Im adding some custom profile fields for various gaming services (prob just steam/origin/PSN/XBL for now) which when filled in will show a little icon under your avatar (clicking it will take you to that persons profile on that service if they have a profile feature - so Steam and XBL will do that, otherwise just hovering over it will give you that persons username). You can see an example of the Steam one Under my Avatar.

Edit: As usual, i've implemented something and it's not worked - i'll get it working!

Added a new System Specs section to Profiles, if you fill it in, it'll show under your Avatar as a drop down box. As per my profile (You've to click the little black drop down arrow).

I'm adding Xbox and PSN to the Gaming IDs section as soon as i can figure out how to get the icons to show side by side but i'm having no luck with it at the moment, so if you want to help drop me a PM.

Seems the System Specs Option isn't working on any theme other than Pulse (the default theme). I'll sort this ASAP.

New default theme called Computers N Stuff added to forums to make forums look more like the main site.

All other themes are still available for selection as always.

New alternative theme - Agile available for selection.

New default theme coming soon.

IPB4 is coming out later this year so some themes may be lost upon transition to IPB4. I'll let people know which ones closer to the time.

I've applied some updates to some of the themes installed on the board, if you spot any problems let me know.

I'm doing some backend work on the forums today, so if something breaks it was my fault!

Said changes may require you to log in again, and if you get any error messages about Server Certificates please ignore them.

Removed Reviews/Opinions sub forum and merged it back with Gaming Discussion.

I'm also preparing for the upgrade to IPB4, at  which time some of the themes you may be using currently will most likely not work unless there's updated versions. This is a good month or so away yet through.

madwedge likes this

Whilst performing a test to see how the upgrade to IPB4 would go, i accidentally upgraded the live database instead of my copy.

I've reverted back but there may be some symbols incorrectly displayed in old posts. These will be fixed in the future.

I will be performing the upgrade to IPB4 this weekend.

None of the non IPB default themes will survive the transition, however i will be replacing them with some other themes. I'll post details on friday.

Following the upgrade to IPB4, these are the themes that will be available.

(Click to Enlarge images).

Uniform

post-1-0-60872300-1437163213_thumb.png

Chameleon Dark

post-1-0-04588500-1437163213_thumb.png

Villain

post-1-0-16452700-1437163214_thumb.png

Hopefully i've got enough to keep everyone happy.

Site is a bit slow due to it reindexing everything again.

Activity tab is where you can find the Unread posts since last visit type things. You can even make your own custom activity streams.

madwedge likes this

I've removed the game id's from showing under your profile information until i can find the correct file to edit to fix it (i've spent about 3 hours looking and can't figure it out!).

Infact, if anyone would like to help figure it out, it'd be much appreciated!