Sign in to follow this  
justplainandy

Good TV thread

I quite like it actually.

Same spirit as always - blokes dicking about in vehicles for no apparent reason.

I was never entirely convinced that Clarkson and the others weren't entirely scripted.

I thought it was generally accepted that the Clarkson era was scripted to buggery with the odd ad lib here and amusing screw up left in (Though I'm sure some of the latter were also scripted). Didn't bother me as I enjoyed it anyway, though it was getting stale by the time Clarkson & co left and was in need of a change.

I always thought the old Top Gear was scripted but it did not affect my enjoyment of the show. I thought I'd read some quotes from Clarkson when the show won an award for best factual programme (or similar) stating that he was usually up all night changing the scripts before filming, or maybe I imagined it.

8 hours ago, Nige said:

Both.

Okay well I don't think their chemistry can be scripted, to a degree it was but the obviously scripted stuff weren't the best parts.

The stunts, yes of course they are scripted but you could almost get immersed in it because it wasn't so obviously fake.

Samuel Jackson's guide to Game of Thrones - if you aren't up-to-date then might be best skip it, or you still haven't watched it but might want to some day then also might be wise to skip - otherwise enjoy

I've been watching The Last Ship recently as it popped up on a most watched widget on kodi. Initial impressions were it was a bit crap but I liked the potential of the main story so stuck with it.

It veers between some Walking Dead style excellence to 'why the fuck am I watching this (god bless America) shit' -probably more of the latter tbf- but I keep going back to it in the hope of another good episode.

Anyone up to date with it and if so should I give up or persevere? 

I do want to watch The Last Ship as it does sound interesting. I've been watching Dark Matter which is good and will be watching the last episode tonight on my commute home. The wife and I are also halfway through watching the first season of Containment which has recently started airing. That's very good and recommend it. 

4 hours ago, madwedge said:

I do want to watch The Last Ship as it does sound interesting. I've been watching Dark Matter which is good and will be watching the last episode tonight on my commute home. The wife and I are also halfway through watching the first season of Containment which has recently started airing. That's very good and recommend it. 

The Last Ship is better than I made it sound to be fair, I'm halfway through Season 2 so it can't be that bad, just some of the "WE ARE THE US NAVY!!!!" bollocks gets on my nerves at times.

3 hours ago, Halrick said:

Blimey, The Walking Dead is BRUTAL!

Reveal hidden contents

*smush smush smush smush*

[Insert banter]

*smush smush smush smush* Crikey, that eye... His head was concaved, ffs!

I think brutal is an understatement tonight.!

Spoiler

My evening meal almost made a reappearance when the hanging walkers head started coming off :o

Currently rattling through Gomorrah on Sky box sets - Italian language mafia/ crime series.

Almost at end of first series and it's got me hooked. Quite violent as expected from the subject matter but good plot and the regular end of show shocks are just that. Well worth a watch if you can get away with subtitles 

Sherlock then - not a great episode by any means, but a good start, terrible middle before a promising ending. I couldn't shake the feeling they were trying to make a James Bond film, though - all the watery visuals.

The feeling of wasted time would be less pronounced if they didn't keep us waiting 3 years for a new series of three episodes.

I'm delighted Mary is out of the way - I thought Amanda Abbington was very good in the role and it was nice she was updated from the background character of the books, but her being an international superagent was a step too far and served to distract both viewers and writers - the globetrotting adventures, the amazing skillset.

I have some sympathy with those who object to her being there largely to produce a baby and then die, but she did get to save Sherlock's life and she was shown to be brighter than John.

But increasingly I felt like Sherlock was losing its way - a bit too comic and a lack of a central mystery to solve. The thing with the woman on the bus was odd too - I felt that was either going to turn out to be Mary in disguise, or a plant by Sherlock, or something. 

Mary's death scene was a bit hollow as well - her and the other agent never really made me feel any great suspense or shock, and nor did the old biddy who was the real traitor. And why would the other superagent automatically believe something he overheard his torturers saying?

8 minutes ago, gavpowell said:

Sherlock then.....

Hide contents

The thing with the woman on the bus was odd too - I felt that was either going to turn out to be Mary in disguise, or a plant by Sherlock, or something.

I have to agree, not the best start to the new series but it was better than last full series. As many have said the writers have strayed too far away from it being a detective show to it almost becoming a sitcom. The thing that makes Sherlock Holmes great are his detective skills, it would be nice to see them more often rather than another 5 minutes of Holmes and Mycroft verbally attacking each other. Seeing him solve mysteries is kind of the point.

Spoiler

About the woman on the bus, I think its fair to assume she'll reappear in the next couple of episodes to ruin Sherlock's image of John as being the "Good" man.
 It was kind of signposted by having the poster of Toby Jones in the bus shelter when she was sat waiting for Watson.

Well the second episode of Sherlock was back on point now that Mary is out of the way. Though the cliffhanger ending was somewhat spoilt by the trailer for next week that was shown directly after it finished!!!

20 minutes ago, SgtDave said:

Well the second episode of Sherlock was back on point now that Mary is out of the way. Though the cliffhanger ending was somewhat spoilt by the trailer for next week that was shown directly after it finished!!!

Well, sort of - it wasn't exactly vintage stuff but then the original story's not a favourite either. I also think we may be being mocked by the writers:

Spoiler

The comment about the blog "Going downhill a bit recently" combined with the shoot-the-screen ending made me suspect the James Bond stuff has been at least partly deliberate and at the very least they've picked up on it themselves and decided to take the piss a bit.

The trouble with this "series" is we've got one more episode in which to get back to something like normal, before another wait of a year or three. 

18 hours ago, mus422 said:

Yeah I thought the 2nd Sherlock was a lot better - hopefully the final episode can go out with a bang, especially if its the last one ever.

Where do you get that from? The writers have written series 5 and Cumberbatch is contracted for it.

4 hours ago, gavpowell said:

Where do you get that from? The writers have written series 5 and Cumberbatch is contracted for it.

I thought they said they weren't sure if they were going to do anymore?

Or have they since said they will for sure?

Well the grand finale of this series of Sherlock and......i was rather underwhelmed! It seems this series is in a far different place to the first two series and i'm not sure i like it. The only time i started to enjoy it was when Queen started playing (that avoids spoilers!!) Other than that there was nothing much left and as for the ending....

I enjoyed it far more than the previous two episodes but agree that the first two series were where Sherlock excelled. Having him solve other people's mysteries rather than those surrounding himself made for far better TV and those episodes tend to stick in my mind more than others (the taxi driver case is perhaps my favourite of the series). Part of the fun was watching how his 'mind palace' worked and trying to suss out who did it alongside him. Instead of that, we've had the admittedly great Moriarty arc followed by the dreadfully lacklustre Mary stuff.

I'm hopeful that the next series goes back to the mystery-a-week structure. If it doesn't, there's always the first two on blu ray.