Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
tom_hargreaves

Car Thread

Recommended Posts

Ok so whats the crack with T-Cutting a car? What should I buy and what should i be doing? I don't want to be going over the top with anything as i don't really have too much spare time i to be doing it (unfortunately) and don't have the money to pay someone to do it (double unfortunately!)

I've got a Black Ford Focus which is looking really drab and dull at the moment, especially with all the kids finger prints on it and tiny scratches everywhere!

Need's some TLC to make it look respectable again :P

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Shogun said:

Ok so whats the crack with T-Cutting a car? What should I buy and what should i be doing? I don't want to be going over the top with anything as i don't really have too much spare time i to be doing it (unfortunately) and don't have the money to pay someone to do it (double unfortunately!)

I've got a Black Ford Focus which is looking really drab and dull at the moment, especially with all the kids finger prints on it and tiny scratches everywhere!

Need's some TLC to make it look respectable again :P

 

I've a bottle of Black T-Cut if you want it - I have a black Focus too and I've found T-Cut doesn't work, though I may be doing it wrong...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After around 8 years of not owning, or driving, a car I have finally been dragged back into the world of traffic jams.

Basically my missus was fed up of walking to and from the super market with the shopping bags.

So we bought an automatic 2004 Mazda 3 - it has high mileage but only 1 owner and full service history, and it seemed nice enough to drive and it was about all we could realistically afford to buy out right - car prices over here (Holland) or ridiculously high due to an additional government tax on newer cars

Will be interesting being back behind a steering wheel again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So 6 months later and having an issue with the Mazda 3 I bought.

Just wondering if anyone has any advice, the car is shaking heavily when getting up to speeds of around 60+ but its not always happening.

I've arranged a visit to a Mazda dealer next week but wondering what it could be? Brakes, suspension, wheel balance?

Not looking forward to finding out the cost to repair it.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, paulod said:

Have you recently changed a wheel and forgot to fully tighten the bolts?  - speaking from personal experience here as I did it many moons ago in a works van.

Nope, I've not changed anything since I bought the car.

I'm hoping its something as simple as the wheels need balancing, but given the age of the car I'm fearing something larger - probably the reason the last owner traded it in :wacko:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, mus422 said:

Just wondering if anyone has any advice, the car is shaking heavily when getting up to speeds of around 60+ but its not always happening.

When I had this, or very similar, it was that I'd gone through a brake pad and the caliper had jammed against the disc. Ended up about 150 quid, but that's on a knackered old Ford Focus. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, gavpowell said:

When I had this, or very similar, it was that I'd gone through a brake pad and the caliper had jammed against the disc. Ended up about 150 quid, but that's on a knackered old Ford Focus. 

I am wondering if its brake related - would make sense if the brake wasn't releasing correctly. If that's all it is then it shouldn't be too costly......I hope...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So got the car to the Mazda dealer this morning - barely - and they've said it's the front brakes - looks like they need replacing completely - €800....ouch

Still if it's just that and not an issue with the gearbox then I think I've got off lightly 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, mus422 said:

So got the car to the Mazda dealer this morning - barely - and they've said it's the front brakes - looks like they need replacing completely - €800....ouch

 

No wonder you lot told me Focuses are cheap to repair!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah its a painful amount - but I guess it due to replacing the complete brakes on both sides, them being a main dealer and the labour time involved.

I'm just hopeful this fixes the issues and the car is sound after this for a couple of years.

Then the cost will be easier to bare.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, gavpowell said:

In other news, my mechanic tells me he can weld the two bits of my exhaust back together. Is this worth doing or am I better just getting a new exhaust?

I'd get a new one - otherwise you're putting money into a part that's likely to fail again sooner rather than later.

But easy to ask for the price difference between the two options I guess?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2017-6-7 at 10:39 AM, mus422 said:

Yeah its a painful amount - but I guess it due to replacing the complete brakes on both sides, them being a main dealer and the labour time involved.

I'm just hopeful this fixes the issues and the car is sound after this for a couple of years.

Then the cost will be easier to bare.

You know you don't HAVE to go to a Mazda dealer? Any third party competent garage will do just as good a job.

Turbo went on our Mazda CX-5, Mazda wanted an eye watering £2500 for the turbo part alone, with like another £1000 in labour cost and they also wouldn't entertain a refurbish of the Turbo. Plus the closest "Mazda" dealer to us is a Sandicliffe which mainly do Ford, there are no Mazda independents.

I took the Turbo to a specialist who fixed it, slapped a guarantee on it and cost me £700. I also got a mechanic I know to fit it to save on labour. Been absolutely fine since.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, SuPerNoVi said:

You know you don't HAVE to go to a Mazda dealer? Any third party competent garage will do just as good a job.

That reminds me of the "RAC-approved" garage that tried to rip me off on my Focus a few years back: "Oh yeah, your headlamp unit is loose, Ford want £120 for that, then there's.." "Hang on, even if I need a new headlamp I'm not gonna go to Ford am I? I'm gonna wander into a scrapyard and give them a tenner for a headlamp."

Ended up taking it to my current mechanic, who screwed the headlamp back into place in about 15 minutes flat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, gavpowell said:

That reminds me of the "RAC-approved" garage that tried to rip me off on my Focus a few years back: "Oh yeah, your headlamp unit is loose, Ford want £120 for that, then there's.." "Hang on, even if I need a new headlamp I'm not gonna go to Ford am I? I'm gonna wander into a scrapyard and give them a tenner for a headlamp."

Ended up taking it to my current mechanic, who screwed the headlamp back into place in about 15 minutes flat.

I'm not sure if you're agreeing with me or not here? :blink:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, SuPerNoVi said:

I'm not sure if you're agreeing with me or not here? :blink:

I am agreeing with you, because the one waving its credentials around was trying to rip me off  and flog me "official" parts, whereas the one-man-band independent local bod just fixed it back into place.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This was the reason I bought a Focus while the kids are young and destructive buggers, if anything breaks I can replace it fairly easy and cheap with non-ford parts.

Take the side mirror, someone smashed it off while the missus was driving down the road and didnt stop. Priced up a ford like for like and it was £120, found the same non-branded on eBay for £25 new and fitted it myself.

I won't go to a main dealer for service, MOTs, or parts again, they are a huge rip-off!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah I don't know how they stay in business, a lot of people seem to be under some impression that only an Audi, Ford, Mazda etc Technician can fix their vehicle. Because of this false impression they pay 2, even 3 times as much for the same work and parts.

If you think having that dealer stamp is going to get you enough extra when you sell to justify the extra cost of repair etc then you're dreaming.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Having worked in the automobile industry I can confirm that prices are steep in a lot of dealers.
A lot of the time you are paying extra for the costs of running a bricks and mortar operation as well as opportunistic behaviour through asymmetric information from seller to buyer.
I tend to find one I trust and stick with them and have done for some time.

One of the worst for rip offs in main dealers is tyres, which is what I worked in. I once went into a main dealer to get a quote for one tyre and they quoted me £120 for one Marshall (a budget brand). I politely declined knowing I could get a premium tyre for about £70 online and elsewhere. 

On the car front I've just upgraded from a 1.6 Petrol Astra J SRI 11 plate to an Ex Demo 66 plate Vauxhall Zafira Tourer SRI 2L Diesel. Paid £14.6k for it which was a fairly good price. Best move ever having an MPV with the family now. Such a lovely drive too...

Whilst I appreciate a nice Jag/BMW/Other Premium Saloon I can't  get past the extra cost and the fact it becomes a target on your drive these days (which is a shame).
I've somehow ended up on the Vauxhall train unintentionally too... despite hating the service in the past.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×