Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
madwedge

Star Citizen / Squadron 42

27 posts in this topic

Gotta wait till 2014 for it though apparently! It's a multiplayer online game called Star Citizen, with a single player game seperately called Squadron 42.

10X the detail of current AAA games

Most current gen "AAA" games have around 10,000 polygons for a character and 30,000 or so for a vehicle. In Star Citizen, the characters are detailed at 100,000 polygons, the fighter at 300,000 and the Space Carrier 7 million! This allows unparalleled detail, making the visuals more immersive than has ever been achieved before.

Everything you would imagine would move or articulate on a spaceship or a device does!

Every spaceship is built from 100s of sub-components, many of them moving and articulating just like they would in the "real" world. If a component gets damaged during combat be prepared to feel the effects on your ship.

I'm loving the level of detail but will our computers actually be able to play it!!

I'm always suspicious whan some game's blurb goes on and on about spoddy technical detail and how "utterly realistic" every tiny little component will be.

As (I think) we all know - The quality of a game is dependent on more than just how it looks.

7 million polygons means Jack Shit if the gameplay is lacking imho.

Shogun likes this

Didn't realise the last post was so long ago!

New 14 minute footage released, and a separate multiplayer video.

I should add this is random footage from the PAX East event in Boston of someone playing. Not a promo vid, hence it's not that exciting, however visually it looks amazing!

cptwhite likes this

Another Dogfighting video from E3. Game looks beautiful however the combat looks to be a lesson in frustration! It's missing the Wing Commander "aim here" little reticle when firing that leads the ships. Again will keep an eye on this.  I do like how the ships explode though with debris flying everywhere you can bump into!

Between this, Elite: Dangerous and Eve: Valkyrie my money in on Elite at the mo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7bmZLUSnNo

And another vid which explores ship damage possibilities. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9QE10yKGxM

It's not uncommon for developers of indie PC games to hope that their creations will ultimately make it to consoles. Cloud Imperium Games holds out no such hope for Star Citizen, however, and in fact Eric "Wingman" Peterson says it couldn't be done anyway, because consoles, including the Xbox One and PlayStation 4, simply don't have the power to drive the game.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/07/14/consoles-couldnt-possibly-handle-star-citizen-developer-says/

New Modules for the game have been revealed. This is going in a different direction to what I was originally expecting, and that's a good thing. I was thinking it seemed a little boring as 99% of the videos online are either based in a hanger, or of the Arena Commander multiplayer beta.

Roberts Space Industries has teased Star Citizen racing and first-person shooting during its Gamescom livestream on Saturday. Embedded below, the racing video is generous enough, providing a pretty solid idea of where the team is headed. Meanwhile the first-person shooting module remains a bit of a mystery, with the fairly unhelpful video below revealing little except that more will be shown at PAX Australia in November.

Nexuiz studio Illfonic will work on the first-person shooting module. Originally limited to scenarios on board enemy ships, planet-side FPS combat has also been confirmed as part of a stretch goal, though it may roll out considerably later than the game proper. On that topic, planet-side exploration has also been teased in a trailer below, with landing and land vehicle deployment demonstrated.

Racing will be added during the v 0.9 update and looks like an arcade-y respite from Star Citizen's otherwise serious simulator aspirations. Check out all the videos below.

Racing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hN-0TrdUR0

Planet Exploration

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zG-82TakEqk

Edit - Can't show more than two video's in a post apparently!!  See next post.

Im not sure why, but im not getting how this game works in terms of actually getting it. It doesnt seem to be standard buy a box etc. Can anyone explain? 

Pets in space??!  Okay!

Space sim Star Citizen will add traditional and alien pets to the game, as promised by its $64 million stretch goal, which it reached just days after hitting the $63 million mark.

"We have repair bots, we have fish… but we haven’t implemented a traditional pet system in Star Citizen yet. At $64 million, that changes," Wing Commander creator Chris Roberts said. "From Jones the Cat in Alien to the Battlestar Galactica’s Daggit, pets have a place onboard starships… and we want to give you that option in Star Citizen."

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/star-citizen-adds-pets-as-it-nears-65-million-in-f/1100-6423864/

Im not sure why, but im not getting how this game works in terms of actually getting it. It doesnt seem to be standard buy a box etc. Can anyone explain? 

Direct download from their site at the mo - Elite seems to be doing the same thing.

Kinda lost all interest in this due to it's massive scale and that I'll never have the time to play it, but am still interested in it's development. 

A vid showing how ships will explode!

Apparently according to various sources,they've blown through most of the $92 million and it's still very much work in progress so i wouldn't expect that it will ever make it out as originally planned.

Chris Roberts (project lead) posted a lengthy reply to all the doom and gloom speculation last week and I'm inclined to believe him.  It's just disgruntled ex-employees and that Derek Smart guy whipping up trouble until you can provide some solid links and evidence.

Edited by cptwhite