Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Fall Guy

Apple Thread (Anything Goes Edition)

275 posts in this topic

Here be sharp pointy sticks to prod unwary Apple fans. However if they do venture in to prod Android fans, we have a sense of humour and welcome them.

Is that ok teacher?

Reported via Gizmodo

Brent Rose -

In Apple’s earnings call yesterday, Tim Cook uttered something that is, frankly, stunning in its obliviousness:

Let me be clear. We would not make one of the seven-inch tablets. We don’t think they’re good products, and we would never make one. Not just because it’s seven inches but for many reasons. One of the reasons, however, is size.

Cook goes on to say that “The difference in just the real-estate size between the the 7.9 (almost Posted Image versus the 7 is 35 per cent. And when you look at the usable area, it’s much greater than that. It’s from 50 to 67 per cent.” What is this “usable area,” exactly? Is he talking about the back of it? Like, it’s a solid surface you can use when you need to sign cheques? And how you add 0.9 inches and come away with 67 per cent more useable area is a conundrum that will have mathematicians scratching their heads for eons to come. Then he goes on:

“iPad mini is a fantastic product,” he continues, throwing back another stiff drink. “It’s not a compromisedproduct like the 7-inch tablets. It’s in a whole different league.”

Are. You. Fucking. Kidding. Me. You just made a 7.9-inch tablet, and you’re dissing 7-inch tablets as compromised? Not only that, as we showed earlier, your 7.9-inch tablet has far fewer pixels than the competing 7-inch tablets! You’re cramming a worse screen in there, charging more, and accusing others of compromise? Ballsy.

Apparently that’s why you have to charge £110 more than the others.

I'm in your thread reading your posts! :ph34r:

I honestly feel Apple have gone to shit since Jobs died. He was like the leash that kept 'the board' under control! Now they seem to be making stupid decisions on a bi monthly basis! I never reckon the iPad 4 would've been announced yet if Jobs had been around. Surely it makes more sense and would've attracted a hell of a lot more custom if they announced in next March time, a solid one year after the iPad 3 came out?!

Yay! A thread for those who think tha sun don't shine from Apple's arse!

(Disclaimer: I have a 1st gen iPad - I really like it. My wife has an iPod Touch - ditto)

Having said that, I read this article recently http://www.computing.co.uk/ctg/analysis/2205117/the-fall-of-the-house-of-apple

I tend to agree with it, tbh.

Yay!

:D

I can only assume the usable area thing, is talking about 4:3 content - displaying 4:3 content on a 7.9" 4:3 screen, is a 64% larger area than if you try to display 4:3 content on a 7" 16:10 screen. That's as close as I can get any numbers to that 67%.

I honestly feel Apple have gone to shit since Jobs died. He was like the leash that kept 'the board' under control! Now they seem to be making stupid decisions on a bi monthly basis! I never reckon the iPad 4 would've been announced yet if Jobs had been around. Surely it makes more sense and would've attracted a hell of a lot more custom if they announced in next March time, a solid one year after the iPad 3 came out?!

Actually I can see completely why they did it. Android tablets are getting better and they need to push the iPad forwards plus if they didn't them people would be complaining that the new connectors weren't on the iPad but were on the mini and iPhone. And while they are updating the connector why not give a speed bump as well. Of course your three month old iPad is now a poor second and that must piss you off as well, but it is still a bloody good piece of kit (I feel slightly dirty at this point). I am looking forward to whether the rumoured Nexus 10 is going to be an unholy powerhouse to sweep all before it or just wishful thinking.

I'm also very disappointed with the specs of the Nexus 4 if it only comes in 8 or 16Gb without a microSD. I was hoping to to go for one this time but my SGS2 has 16Gb and a 32Gb sd card in it. Why can't we have an top-flight Android phone that has a four inch screen for Gods sake, we don't all have hands like Andre the Giant.

Apple has got too big to take chances, Steve had the balls to push and shove and get his own way and the investors loved him for it. That's now gone the accountants are in charge.

Completely agree. As much as I disliked his way of thinking, Jobs wasn't as much of an arse as Cook. I don't think anyone - well, maybe the iSheep - can deny that Cook et al have significantly ruined the Apple ecosystem, particularly over the last few months. Their petty legal battles are akin to playground tactics that have no rightful place in business and, unfortunately for them, the world is slowly awakening to the fact that Apple aren't the clean-cut folk that they've made themselves out to be.

On a related note, has everyone read their "apology" for the various accusations directed towards Samsung? I'm wondering how long it'll be before either Samsung drag them back in-front of the judge to demand a real apology or the judge beckons them back himself.

Yes, that apology is a complete piss take, i'm amazed they're able to get away with that - surely it had to be passed before a court prior to public release?

The sheer childish pettyness does however sum Apple up of late I think.

Yes, that apology is a complete piss take, i'm amazed they're able to get away with that - surely it had to be passed before a court prior to public release?

I'd hope not, or else it's another nail in the coffin of our legal system. No judge would be stupid enough to approve what is essentially a non-apology that sticks two fingers up to them and brands them an idiot, surely?

The reason for releasing a new iPad now seems pretty obvious to me although nobody to my knowledge has actually confirrmed it as the reason. 4G, which is available from around now. Anyone buying a tablet will surely be aware that a 3G only tablet is going to be old tech shortly, even with the slow rollout of 4G availability accross the country. This may not be relevant for the Apple fanbois who buy the new one every year but for others who have no particular alligiance it could be a deciding factor and potential lost business.

You'd want a 4G compatible device if you had the choice so they've released one, just as 4G becomes available for the lucky few. Seems obvious to me, but I could be completely wrong. And of course there's a whole load of fuss about Wndows 8 and all their new tablets, so the timing seems more predictable than not.

I have a 1st gen 3G iPad.

Most of the time I use Wifi, at home and wherever I can when travelling.

In my experience mobile internet is utterly, utterly shit. It's just incredibly frustrating the chug chug chug, lost signal, poor signal.

I've tried various carriers and it's much the same, regardless.

Even at home - hardly the sticks - mobile signal is piss poor. Not good enough even to rely on as a back up when broadband goes down.

I've had the same experience with various mobile phones too, so it's not an iPad issue per se.

Thus, personally, I don't give a flying fuck about having 4G because I suspect it will be as overpriced and underperforming as the current standard.

Well, half the point of 4G is that it is supposed to be able to sustain better speed over longer distance and also more clients per cell at higher speeds, which goes a long way to address some of the biggest limitations of 3G.

(I think it's also supposed to perform better whilst moving but i'm not 100% sure)

Haven't you seen EE's tariff's for 4G? For a 36p/m contract you get unlimited calls/text but only 500MB of data per month. That's right, just 500MB... so gone in less than 6 minutes assuming 12Mbs download.

Haven't you seen EE's tariff's for 4G? For a 36p/m contract you get unlimited calls/text but only 500MB of data per month. That's right, just 500MB... so gone in less than 6 minutes assuming 12Mbs download.

EE - 4G, 500MB data, unlim mins, unlim text, £36pm

O2 - 3G, 500MB data, 600 mins, unlim text, £32pm

Voda - 3G, 500MB data, 600 mins, unlim text, £33pm

Doesn't seem wholly unreasonable compared to the competition, sure it would be nice to be given more but they have an exclusive service, it'd be horrendous business sense to not try and take advantage of the period where they are the only supplier offering it. There's all the time in the world to fuck around with ultra competitive pricing once everyone else has caught up.

Doesn't seem wholly unreasonable compared to the competition, sure it would be nice to be given more but they have an exclusive service, it'd be horrendous business sense to not try and take advantage of the period where they are the only supplier offering it. There's all the time in the world to fuck around with ultra competitive pricing once everyone else has caught up.

I would have thought they'd be better off offering more attractive packages in the hope of tying people down to a two year contract before the competition starts in a few months.

i think the point being that 4g from EE is being sold as "really great, really fast broadband service, never wait for anything ever again"

and then strangle it with a contract with 500mb of data, which is pheck all on a really fast service. its pointless really!

Depends what you want it for - it's still going to have all the benefits of 4G over 3G whether you use 500MB of it or 5GB of it. There are probably people out there who want a faster, more reliable connection but who don't necessarily tear through loads of data at the same time.

I guess I just don't see why everyone is ridiculing these tariffs - they're about where you'd expect in terms of pricing compared to equivalent 3G offerings and they offer a package to suit most peoples needs in one form or another.