Sign in to follow this  
Fall Guy

Apple Thread (Anything Goes Edition)

Yeah they never mentioned Bluetooth during the announcement. They did go to great lengths to describe the new W1 chip that they had designed to work with the AirPods and that will also feature in new wireless devices from Beats.

I'm surprised that they still use Bluetooth though, even with the W1 chip. I would have thought they may use a different wireless, thinking about it now I suppose there is only so many frequencies that you'd want to output and receive from a mobile device.

2 hours ago, bsoltan said:

Apple clearly think that wireless audio is the way to make more money

Fixed that for you.

Let's not be under any misapprehension that Apple is the benevolent, altruistic pioneer of a brave new digital world. It's all about the yankee dollar.

I wonder if non Apple bluetooth headphones will work?

11 hours ago, Nige said:

Fixed that for you.

Let's not be under any misapprehension that Apple is the benevolent, altruistic pioneer of a brave new digital world. It's all about the yankee dollar.

I wonder if non Apple bluetooth headphones will work?

Yeah. 'The future of their product line' was more my thinking.

I'm sure the phones still have regular Bluetooth.

Surprised they didn't go into great detail about the size of the device. Presumably same size as the 6?

Yeah, same sizes I think. I've ordered a 7+, 128GB in matte black. I got in a minute after the pre order opened... and apparently I'm waiting til the start of October for the phone to come. Stock must've been shit...

(I can say what I like about Apple now without getting into trouble! Yay!)

23 hours ago, gavpowell said:

The argument being made is that the headphone jack is obsolete, analogue technology holding back the industry. I speak as someone who can't tell the difference between a Cd, mp3 and a well-tuned radio. Is there any merit to the argument whatsoever?

Yeah I've heard this, although not directly from Apple.

Complete bull shit, I mean somewhere along the chain there is a DAC, if it's not on the phone it's on the bluetooth earphones and that converts the digital back to analogue. The type of DAC being used makes a big impact on the quality of the audio passed to the speakers. With such a small device I can't imagine the DAC is up to much.

The Apple ear phones were certainly nowhere near pushing the boundaries of analogue audio quality. Just look at an audiophile forum or reddit or something and look at the costs of the headphones, amplifiers etc people are buying to achieve audio bliss.

As far as I understand with Bluetooth audio, it's quite compressed? As in you're better off playing an MP3 from a USB than streaming it over Bluetooth.

Really what they are saying with their move is that wireless is the future, it has nothing to do with analogue as like I say there will be a digital to analogue conversion on those ear pods for sure.

Just had a quick Google about general Bluetooth data rates as i had no idea about them, and it seems that a lot of applications/devices are using Bluetooth as a sort of handshake system, then using WiFi Direct to transfer data as it has much more bandwidth to stream with.

Oh course i doubt the wireless AirBuds have WiFi in them too, but it's nice to know something new :P

Also, i'm not an expect on this sort of stuff...just to back me out of a corner with questions :P

I am so thankful I don't feel the need to jump on the Apple Gravy train.

Each desperate grab by Apple to gain market share is pushed  as innovation and 'bravery'.

I mean, you got to give them credit for re-selling an ever so slightly different product every six months and dressing it up as some sort of huge leap in technology that will transform lives. £159 for ear buds ffs.

https://youtu.be/gLNhIbroC4s

Yep. I'm old and cynical.

I'm probably lucky that my phone contract ends in the January after a new phone is released (5,6,7 etc not a 5S, 6S etc year) and I'm not desperate to get a new model as soon as they are released. Therefore I don't end up getting shafted for £40+ a month.

I'm still really happy with my 6 so might just stick with that on a sim only contract but could do with more storage and my daughter wants my phone, so I guess i'll end up with a 7 in January :/ 

Just ordered an iPhone 7 on contract - hopefully should get it on the release day - main reason I ordered was I'm still using my
iPhone 4S and its really on its last legs, the power button is practically useless, it gets red hot sometimes and its so sloooow....

Yes it will be nice to have the latest and shiniest phone but it will also be nice to have a phone that just works when I need it to.

I think an almost 5 year gap is long enough. I'll probably end up using this new iPhone7 until the iPhone12 comes out....

3 hours ago, gavpowell said:

Just think how good a camera the iphone 12 will have:o

Yes! But photos taken on an iPhone will be in a proprietary format and only viewable on Apple devices, or the £500 Apple digital photo album which will be called iLife.

Marketing for said device will exhort potential buyers to 'Live the iLife', and television ads featuring a carefully balanced mixture of genders, age  and ethnic groups will use the song 'We're living the iLife', which track will be available to download in Apple's proprietary audio format: 'Apple device required for playback'. There'll also be mention of 'precious memories' and various still shots of grandparents looking fondly on as grandchildren fondle kittens.

Then someone will spot their own photo on one of the ads, and it will be revealed that Apple's small print allows the use of 'any and all images stored on Apple devices and/or Apple Cloud servers in perpetuity'.

Of course.

Depressing to think that every device may only support its own proprietary formats.

Retrograding for profit ftw, but shit from a consumer's point of view, imho

There's a bit of misinformation floating around regarding the AirPods.

Yep, they use standard Bluetooth.  

Yes, they work with non-Apple devices, but some of the more advanced features (e.g. automatic setup on all your devices) are iPhone specific.  The Verge / Neowin article linked to earlier has a retraction on their claims otherwise (they kept the click bait headline though).

Yes, they are expensive. However, Samsung's Gear Icon X wireless buds are both more bulky and more expensive.  In general, it looks like high end, truly wireless earbuds are expensive.  

The iPhone 7 doesn't have proprietary photo or video.  Lots of devices in the past used proprietary formats, Mac and Windows formats in general were not particularly compatible. After spending the past decade getting to a point where the majority of file formats ARE compatible, it doesn't seem likely that Apple (or Microsoft) would reverse that trend.  

The lack of a headphone port is brave, as was the decision to drop optical drives from their entire product range before any other manufacturer, purely because it might scare some customers away.  Not sure brave is the best word. Maybe ballsy?

My car stereo is a few years old and doesn't support music streaming via BT, so I need a headphone jack.  The bundled Lightning to 3.5mm adapter solves that problem but I also need to charge the phone on long journeys. I suspect buying more adapters may be required..

Regardless, I'm picking up my new phone in a few hours. Pre-ordered through the Apple Store App and got a pickup reservation on launch day, which I wasn't expecting!  iPhone 7, black, 128GB.  I'm on the iPhone Upgrade Program, just hand in my old phone and my monthly payments stay the same.

Thanks for the clarification grrrpoop.

My earlier post was speculation on what commercial decisions may be made in future to tie punters in to a particular company's products. If it becomes commercially useful in future to make proprietary image formats, then they will.

Brave is definitely not the word. It's a calculated corporate decision, designed to make more money, and maybe to justify relaunching the same product repeatedly every year ('but this one's slightly thinner, and it has  a different shaped connector'). People with cancer are brave. Soldiers are brave. Corporate entitites aren't brave. Ever.

As I've said, I'm just glad I'm not part of this particular food chain. Ear buds are problematic for me anyway - Very small ear canals, so they always fall out. £3 wired ones stay attached to my device when they fall out. £160 wireless ones would be lost within hours.

No judgement here either - we're all allowed to spend our money on whatever we like - I'm just cynical about 'innovative' and 'brave' corporations.

22 hours ago, grrrpoop said:

The lack of a headphone port is brave, as was the decision to drop optical drives from their entire product range before any other manufacturer, purely because it might scare some customers away.  Not sure brave is the best word. Maybe ballsy?

Isn't the iphone userbase pretty much at saturation point now? I don't pay attention to phones as they're all the same to me, but it's a long time since anyone asked me about the difference between an iphone and any of the alternatives - the people who already have iphones are probably locked in for life no matter what Apple does to it, and the people who've never bought an iphone to this point are probably not going to. Is that a reasonable assumption, or am I being  too sweeping?

I think you're right gav.

Apple make tiny modifications and increment the number of the device knowing that loyal fans will keep upgrading year on year.

I'm not sure 'Ooh! the new iPhone doesn't have a headphone socket, but does come with an adapter. And the wireless ear buds cost £160' is going to get people,to switch from another eco-system.

1 hour ago, Nige said:

Apple make tiny modifications and increment the number of the device knowing that loyal fans will keep upgrading year on year.

I don't know anyone who upgrades every year and I can't imagine why anyone would.

But if people are upgrading every year then I don't think it's just an Apple thing is it?

I've lasted 4 years and I don't see myself changing again for another 4 after this time.

18 hours ago, gavpowell said:

Isn't the iphone userbase pretty much at saturation point now? I don't pay attention to phones as they're all the same to me, but it's a long time since anyone asked me about the difference between an iphone and any of the alternatives - the people who already have iphones are probably locked in for life no matter what Apple does to it, and the people who've never bought an iphone to this point are probably not going to. Is that a reasonable assumption, or am I being  too sweeping?

You're not far off the mark tbh.

There is still a little movement.  Some Apple customers switched to Android prior to the launch of the 6 and 6 Plus because they wanted a bigger screen.  Many of them then switched back to get a large-screen iPhone.  

Some people switch to Android for other reasons and then switch back cos they miss the OS / ecosystem.

Some older customers holding out against smartphones are given iPhones by their kids as it's still perceived that Apple products are simpler to use.

From numbers mentioned in Keynotes and other interviews / earnings calls, the number of people switching to Apple from Android far exceeds the number they lose moving to Android.  Retention isn't really an issue, I think having to learn a new OS / re-purchase apps / music puts most people off.

Marketshare is apparently declining a tad though, which is weird when you consider Apple is selling more phones than ever.  I really don't understand economics at all.