Sign in to follow this  
Fall Guy

Apple Thread (Anything Goes Edition)

How is it pay more for less exactly? In what way are you getting less?

Nor do I see why wanting a fast connection necessarily dictates that you must want to use loads and loads of data either.

its a carrot and stick approach, you have faster data connection you will use more. peoples browsing habits and the want for faster internet shows this, since the days of 33.6k modems peoplle have wanted faster and used it more when it became available.

The price tariff as above from EE is there to get people over onto 4G and then wring cash from them when they go over their allowance. which a lot of people will.

• 500MB £36
  • 1GB £41
  • 3GB £46
  • 5GB £51
  • 8GB £56
Their tariffs do not make it a suitable proposition for a big take up from the general populous. which suggests one of 2 things - either the infrastructure is not ready for it or they are greedy.

and for businesses:

Just pick your data

• £35 1GB
  • £40 4GB
  • £45 8GB
  • £50 16GB
EDIT: Plus i dont think these tariffs include a phone. So a 3G package with phone (non apple) is going to work out even better.

EE - 4G, 500MB data, unlim mins, unlim text, £36pm

O2 - 3G, 500MB data, 600 mins, unlim text, £32pm

Voda - 3G, 500MB data, 600 mins, unlim text, £33pm

Doesn't seem wholly unreasonable compared to the competition, sure it would be nice to be given more but they have an exclusive service, it'd be horrendous business sense to not try and take advantage of the period where they are the only supplier offering it. There's all the time in the world to fuck around with ultra competitive pricing once everyone else has caught up.

Or go with Three's one plan for unlimited data. Or use giff gaff for unlimited data...

Also, those tariffs you've posted aren't exactly fair comparison unless you're comparing the phones they come with like for like. Have you seen what is it for sim only plans?

Furthermore, people are complaining because 4G is about being able to consume more data at faster rate; these data caps are akin to giving you an F1 car with a 5 litre fuel tank.

EDIT: Plus i dont think these tariffs include a phone. So a 3G package with phone (non apple) is going to work out even better.

They do - the SIM only prices are as follows:

£21 - 500MB

£26 - 1GB

£31 - 3GB

£36 - 5GB

Again, this doesn't compare horrendously with O2, who will offer you a SIM only 2GB 3G package for £25 (on offer, normally £31) or Vodafone, where £20.50 gets you 1GB 3G and caps your minutes too.

So i'm still failing to see how you're really getting less for more. If people are expecting a 4G offering to match or undercut 3G offerings from EEs main rivals, then they're absolutely mental.

£21 - 500MB

£26 - 1GB

£31 - 3GB

£36 - 5GB

Again, this doesn't compare horrendously with O2, who will offer you a SIM only 2GB 3G package for £25 (on offer, normally £31) or Vodafone, where £20.50 gets you 1GB 3G and caps your minutes too.

So i'm still failing to see how you're really getting less for more. If people are expecting a 4G offering to match or undercut 3G offerings from EEs main rivals, then they're absolutely mental.

Irrelevant, as a consumer I don't care about anything but final cost for me. Also, would you really get 4G for the unlimited minutes and texts? Isn't it about the faster data transfer?

No, I don't work for EE.

If you don't care about anything but cost, then you're obviously not interested in 4G anyway? So why does it bother you even slightly? As for the unlimited minutes, i'm not really sure what point you're trying to make there? I was just doing a comparison of the most similar packages, one of the differentiating things happened to be the minutes included.

First you ask about SIM only plans and now it appears that the plans are more competitive than you probably thought, you're suggesting actually I should be comparing packages that include phones like I did before? Make your mind up. If you're so determined to prove a point, how about you do the fucking comparison yourself?

The packages aren't nearly as uncompetitive as you'd like to pretend they are, it's as simple as that.

If you're only using a tiny amount of data, what possible use could you have for a 4G connection that wouldn't be served by 3G? I mean the signal on 3 dongles are a bit shit on occasion in my village, but we're in the middle of nowhere. I can't imagine that many people really struggle, and what would you be using that needs a faster connection than 3G if you're not using any data?

Coverage distance and maximum clients per cell are two improvements 4G should bring, allowing much better performance in a much wider variety of circumstances. The coverage thing could take a while to really show up but the clients per cell should make a difference right from the off. It also handles clients that are in motion better, so you're able to keep a decent connection on the train etc.

Essentially, yes. You'll notice often if you go to big events, you struggle to signal and never get 3G - it's because the local infrastructure can't handle so many clients at once. For the Olympics they actually put in loads of temporary equipment to handle it.

LTE tech can handle something like 4 times as many voice and data clients as the current tech can.

No, I don't work for EE.

If you don't care about anything but cost, then you're obviously not interested in 4G anyway? So why does it bother you even slightly? As for the unlimited minutes, i'm not really sure what point you're trying to make there? I was just doing a comparison of the most similar packages, one of the differentiating things happened to be the minutes included.

First you ask about SIM only plans and now it appears that the plans are more competitive than you probably thought, you're suggesting actually I should be comparing packages that include phones like I did before? Make your mind up. If you're so determined to prove a point, how about you do the fucking comparison yourself?

The packages aren't nearly as uncompetitive as you'd like to pretend they are, it's as simple as that.

You're quite right, I hadn't seen how much Vodafone or O2 have locked down their data allowances but you never seem to mention Three. Fair enough that Giff gaff isn't a big player but Three, although last amongst the big players have very competitive prices for data usage. And before you say anything, yes, I have been on my Three although currently (and regrettably) on T-mobile but my other family members are still using Three and it's proven to have far more consistent 3G speeds than T-mobile.

I'll be honest with you, given how patchy 3G reception is for Vodafone and O2 I'm actually going back to Three for next contract.

But again, the whole point of 4G is faster data transfer. It's not simply about the price but the question of why? Why bother with a half gig allowance? EE say they'll cap at 12Mbs DL which means you could use up your allowance in less than 6 minutes?!

Also, it's hard to compare plans with same phones because EE offer 4G phones which the other players don't other the closet thing I can see, for example is;

- On O2 HTC One+ is free for 41p/m with 2GB data, unlimited calls/text

- On EE HTC OneXL is £50 same price with 1GB data, unlimited calls/text.

I would call double the data allowance quite significant and again I'll stress that on Three you'll just be on the One Plan at this price which has unlimited data.

£21 - 500MB

£26 - 1GB

£31 - 3GB

£36 - 5GB

The prices above (not the sim only ones), do not include a phone, you have to buy that as well I.E for a galaxy s3 4G phone you have to pay £149.99 for that and then say £36 a month for 500mb data and ultd txts and mins:

Samsung Galaxy S III LTE 16GB Titanium

Phone cost

£149.99

4GEE 36 plan 24 months

24 months

Plan cost

£36.00

a month (24 months)

My point is that the plans as they currently are are not competitive. You will tied in for 2 years on 500mb of data. In a newly emerging market (which 4g technically is) that is a hell of a long time to be tied in for. As i have said, for the average user these tariffs make no sense - you can upgrade your data to 2gb usage on the above plan...but you have to pay £15 a month extra for it (and in which case its just cheaper to buy the 3gb a month plan anyway...the pricing just makes NO sense at all!)

You're quite right, I hadn't seen how much Vodafone or O2 have locked down their data allowances but you never seem to mention Three. Fair enough that Giff gaff isn't a big player but Three, although last amongst the big players have very competitive prices for data usage. And before you say anything, yes, I have been on my Three although currently (and regrettably) on T-mobile but my other family members are still using Three and it's proven to have far more consistent 3G speeds than T-mobile.

I'll be honest with you, given how patchy 3G reception is for Vodafone and O2 I'm actually going back to Three for next contract.

But again, the whole point of 4G is faster data transfer. It's not simply about the price but the question of why? Why bother with a half gig allowance? EE say they'll cap at 12Mbs DL which means you could use up your allowance in less than 6 minutes?!

Also, it's hard to compare plans with same phones because EE offer 4G phones which the other players don't other the closet thing I can see, for example is;

- On O2 HTC One+ is free for 41p/m with 2GB data, unlimited calls/text

- On EE HTC OneXL is £50 same price with 1GB data, unlimited calls/text.

I would call double the data allowance quite significant and again I'll stress that on Three you'll just be on the One Plan at this price which has unlimited data.

I've been ignoring Three because I wouldn't consider them a direct competitor to EE in the same way that O2 and Vodafone are. I would say EE probably see things the same way as they're allowing them to use some of their LTE airspace, which they'd never do for O2 or Vodafone in a million years. I have a Three MiFi dongle for mobile broadband through work and it's ok but around here, my phone on T-Mobile normally gets the better coverage and better speed.

The prices above (not the sim only ones), do not include a phone, you have to buy that as well

Well they do, or they'd just be SIM only packages as well :/

The fact not all of the available phones are free at point of purchase on the bottom tariffs is nothing particularly unusual.

Nothing either of you have said has swayed me even remotely to think these packages are over priced at all - it's an exclusive premium product, as I said before, they'd be mad to price it up to effectively match 3G offerings and not capitalise on their exclusivity. It's more expensive, absolutely, but I don't buy into the notion that it's too expensive. There is plenty of time to offer really competitive prices when they actually have some competition.

[And to cater to Halrick, the situation is nothing like the iPad mini for example, where you get a technically worse product and it still costs more than everyone else ;)]

I've been ignoring Three because I wouldn't consider them a direct competitor to EE in the same way that O2 and Vodafone are. I would say EE probably see things the same way as they're allowing them to use some of their LTE airspace, which they'd never do for O2 or Vodafone in a million years. I have a Three MiFi dongle for mobile broadband through work and it's ok but around here, my phone on T-Mobile normally gets the better coverage and better speed.

Wait, are you joking? You realise that OFCOM made EE sell off a part of the 1800MHz to Three as part of the T-Mobile/Orange merger? What planet do you live on?

I'm not saying Three is perfect but it certainly beats T-mobile when in the Peterborough and Cambridge area.

Well they do, or they'd just be SIM only packages as well :/

The fact not all of the available phones are free at point of purchase on the bottom tariffs is nothing particularly unusual.

Nothing either of you have said has swayed me even remotely to think these packages are over priced at all - it's an exclusive premium product, as I said before, they'd be mad to price it up to effectively match 3G offerings and not capitalise on their exclusivity. It's more expensive, absolutely, but I don't buy into the notion that it's too expensive. There is plenty of time to offer really competitive prices when they actually have some competition.

[And to cater to Halrick, the situation is nothing like the iPad mini for example, where you get a technically worse product and it still costs more than everyone else ;)]

As mentioned already, a 500MB cap for a 2 year contract is just stupid. Also, EE is shouting about how their 4G network is up to 5 times faster than normal 3G but what's the point when for the same price you get less data allowance? I'm not saying they should necessarily give unlimited tariffs but do more than match what is currently standard with the big boys (for example, Vodafone give 1GB data on 20.50p/m 12M sim only, double of EE's plan).

Nexus 4 pisses all over the iPhone 5

http://youtu.be/Os87PLlyU4k

"iPad Mini is the future. It's the future until May, at least... probably more like the end of May... or more than likely June. iPad Mini is, now, the future, until then..." - Brilliantly put :P

Wait, are you joking? You realise that OFCOM made EE sell off a part of the 1800MHz to Three as part of the T-Mobile/Orange merger? What planet do you live on?

I'm not saying Three is perfect but it certainly beats T-mobile when in the Peterborough and Cambridge area.

They were made to sell off part of the spectrum, yes. It wasn't stipulated it had to be Three though, they could have sold it to anyone they pleased.

As mentioned already, a 500MB cap for a 2 year contract is just stupid. Also, EE is shouting about how their 4G network is up to 5 times faster than normal 3G but what's the point when for the same price you get less data allowance? I'm not saying they should necessarily give unlimited tariffs but do more than match what is currently standard with the big boys (for example, Vodafone give 1GB data on 20.50p/m 12M sim only, double of EE's plan).

As I've said before, multiple times now - why on earth should they be matching or bettering 3G packages with their 4G packages? That would make no sense - manage to get yourself a big head start on being allowed to deploy 4G and then just sell it for the same price as your 3G stuff anyway... great, sure the shareholders would have loved that idea. People who want 4G now, want it now and will be prepared to pay for it. Those who don't, wouldn't be buying themselves out of existing contracts for it, so apart from the few you might miss, you can gather the rest up as their contracts expire over the course of the next year.

They were made to sell off part of the spectrum, yes. It wasn't stipulated it had to be Three though, they could have sold it to anyone they pleased.

Yes, so they HAD to sell that Spectrum so it was just a courtesy to Three.

As I've said before, multiple times now - why on earth should they be matching or bettering 3G packages with their 4G packages? That would make no sense - manage to get yourself a big head start on being allowed to deploy 4G and then just sell it for the same price as your 3G stuff anyway... great, sure the shareholders would have loved that idea. People who want 4G now, want it now and will be prepared to pay for it. Those who don't, wouldn't be buying themselves out of existing contracts for it, so apart from the few you might miss, you can gather the rest up as their contracts expire over the course of the next year.

The Full monty from T-mobile who are a different branch of EE, well is EE.

http://www.t-mobile....im-paym/extras/

21p/m on 12M Sim only contract gives you unlimited everything. So again you've said nothing to convince me that 4G is worth it with these tariffs and the fact that EE itself via T-mobile offers unlimited data for the same price as 4GEE's 500MB... well that doesn't look stupid at all. :huh::rolleyes:

That banned trailer is hilarious, right on the mark, lol!

Again - WHY ON EARTH WOULD THEY MATCH 3G PACKAGES?

4G IS NOT 3G - IT IS A DIFFERENT, PREMIUM PRODUCT. IT COMMANDS A PRICE PREMIUM.

It only looks stupid if you're expecting them to release 4G for the same price as 3G, which is clearly absolutely mental. I'm amazed that I seem to need to say this so many times.

(Not that T-Mobile unlimited really is - it will let you browse but once you hit an undefined limit it prevents downloads and streaming)

Again - WHY ON EARTH WOULD THEY MATCH 3G PACKAGES?

4G IS NOT 3G - IT IS A DIFFERENT, PREMIUM PRODUCT. IT COMMANDS A PRICE PREMIUM.

It only looks stupid if you're expecting them to release 4G for the same price as 3G, which is clearly absolutely mental. I'm amazed that I seem to need to say this so many times.

(Not that T-Mobile unlimited really is - it will let you browse but once you hit an undefined limit it prevents downloads and streaming)

I am well aware that 4G is a different beast; it requires a different modem which uses more battery power (another reason against getting 4G for now). I would also point out that it isn't about matching 3G prices which you seem fixated on. It's about the size of their data allowances which, starting at 500MB at base is, as I pointed out, lower than equivalent plans. And again, I stress, 4G's existence is primarily to deliver faster data and that's what EE is advertising. So why have such puny data caps? Doesn't add, there is no real value. How many times do we have to repeat this before you understand?

I know the T-mobile plan isn't quite unlimited as they're not "allowing" tethering now either but there is always the Three One plan.