Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Fall Guy

Apple Thread (Anything Goes Edition)

275 posts in this topic

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2012-10/23/ee-4g-comment

"The vast majority of our customers are using less than 500MB [of data per month] today on Orange, and even on unlimited plans customers are using around a gigabyte," Marc Allera, chief sales officer for EE, told me this morning when I called to quiz him on the subject. "So our packages start at 500MB. For the vast majority of our customers that's more than enough."

Yup, their analysis on usage is based on 3G... that's like saying people won't download more when they go from a poor ADSL line to Fibre optic...

I believe he's absolutely correct; 500MB for the average Orange customer --today -- probably is enough. But what about tomorrow? With features such as the iPhone's iMessage and BlackBerry's BBM fast making regular SMS messaging redundant, and VoIP services and Skype making regular callings redundant -- not to mention the rennaisance of videocalling Apple is trying to pioneer with FaceTime over 3G -- unlimited calls and texts are hallmarks of a last-generation mobile service. That's not what EE will want to be seen as.

That sums up my sentiments

Oh and I think it's ridiculous that Apple has its own name for videocalling... so what next? The camera is renamed to "Life capture" or something?

I currently use less than my 750mb allowance (i hope) purely by the fact that i cannot get a figure from T-Mobile on how much i am actually using (i know my s3 can tell me, but will this stand up with t-mobile if they reckon i went over my limit?), each time i go into my account online it tells me this data is not available, i therefore deliberately do not do data intensive things on my phone, rather waiting until i am Wi-fi'ed up to do it.

Oh and I think it's ridiculous that Apple has its own name for videocalling... so what next? The camera is renamed to "Life capture" or something?

Don't you think you're just picking holes for the sake of it now. FacTime is their product for video calling. Just like Skype is their product for video calling.

gavpowell likes this

Don't you think you're just picking holes for the sake of it now. FacTime is their product for video calling. Just like Skype is their product for video calling.

He's just keeping the discussion on topic :)

What Fall guy said.

But honestly, it is just video calling and I find it funny that they had to have their own for it. I'm a bit confused at what you said though, Skype's video calling is... well called video calling.

But honestly, it is just video calling and I find it funny that they had to have their own for it. I'm a bit confused at what you said though, Skype's video calling is... well called video calling.

lolwut

It's just video calling, however Skype's video calling is just video calling??

It's all video calling. Skype call it skype or skyping. Apple call it FaceTime. When you go to Skype someone you don't say "I'm going to Video Call my mum". You say "I'm going to Skype mum".

This thread has been pretty helpful so far. I now know all the 4G provider tariff's off the top of my head for a start.

Polite discussion - What is it that certain people here don't like Apple products so much?

The reason I ask is that on a day to day basis, 9/10 people I come across who say they hate Apple / Apple products do so because it just seems they want to have alternative views. As opposed to making an informed decision after owning or using the hardware / software.

Google call it 'Hang Outs' don't they?

If they do they Pooey is going to look a bit silly.

It's pretty rare that anyone says "video call", much like it's rare for people to say "Internet search".

Generally, people just say they're going to Skype someone, or Google something.

Software generally has a name; Apple called their video chat app "FaceTime". I think you're picking fault for the sake of it..

gavpowell and madwedge like this

Polite discussion - What is it that certain people here don't like Apple products so much?

The reason I ask is that on a day to day basis, 9/10 people I come across who say they hate Apple / Apple products do so because it just seems they want to have alternative views. As opposed to making an informed decision after owning or using the hardware / software.

For me, it's the way they so often dress up old tech as something completely new, or completely overhype something thoroughly mundane before slapping a massive price tag on it and then somehow managing to sell it by the bucketload.

Forced obsolescence is another bugbear - I had a perfectly serviceable iPod touch Gen 1 that became increasingly useless as even simple apps needed the latest iOS but it wasn't available, for no good reason beyond trying to force me into buying a new iPod. Considering it wasn't exactly cheap to start with, it just makes the value of any proposed purchase seem incredibly questionable, because I have the niggling doubt at the back of my mind - what happens when they decide they don't want to support this in 2/3 years and I can't update things properly any more?

There are certain products i'd love, such as the MBP, especially the newer retina versions - but they're so so expensive still and i'm honestly not really all that fussed about whether it's made from a single piece of aluminium or not, so it doesn't present a particularly good value proposition for me - i'm not really one for form over function.

Nige likes this

Everything that Rich mentioned, plus:
  • The cult following that it has created and the lack of awareness of those within the cult of how they've been drawn in (tech enthusiasts excluded).
  • The constant dross/pretentious ads that their marketing teams spew out.
  • Their petty patent war in an attempt to destroy the competition rather than compete fairly.
I agree that an awful lot of people now pretend to dislike Apple because they think it's the "in thing" (hating Apple, not Apple itself). While there are those of us who read a lot and make informed decisions, far too many people hear a snippet of news on, say, BBC Three's 60 seconds and automatically change allegiance, so to speak. Ignore these people. They are fools.
Nige likes this

Can one 'FaceTime' from OSX or is it purely an iOS thing?

HangOuts are built into Google+ I don't think they have a separate App for it on Android though.

Yeah, you can FaceTime from OSX to an iOS device, or to another OSX device.

It's just Apple's version of Skype. I'm not aware of any feature that makes it preferable, tbh, and I still use Skype to video chat with my parents despite us both having iPads (although usually they use their PC to call me).

Yeah, you can FaceTime from OSX to an iOS device, or to another OSX device.

It's just Apple's version of Skype. I'm not aware of any feature that makes it preferable, tbh, and I still use Skype to video chat with my parents despite us both having iPads (although usually they use their PC to call me).

Haha me too! My missus and I both have iPhones but we still use the Skype app!

My hatred of Apple has evolved over the years - I never got on with the interface on the Apple 2(not that I used it much but sometimes at school), but it was just "I don't really like using it" - nothing beyond ambivalence.

Then I started using OSX on occasion and again, didn't really like the feel or the layout(which is why it annoyed me that MS started trying to rip it off), but again, general ambivalence.

Then when I started to get into the technical side of computers, I used to offer tech support wherever I happened to be that needed it(boxing forum, comedy forum etc) and I started to get really pissed off by the number of Apple fans who would respond to someone's pleas for help with "Why don't you just buy a Mac? No viruses, never crash - PCs are shit, fuck Bill Gates etc." That is so obnoxious it hurts my head - I wonder if these people would pull over on the hard shoulder to tell the guy peering under the bonnet of his Renault that he should just buy a BMW.

This became an increasingly frequent occurrence and I just put it down to annoying fanboys. Then I discovered Apple, and especially Jobs, actually encouraged this attitude, and that's when I really started hating Apple. That and the endless hype "ooh look, we've made something prettier than the competition but with fewer features, so we can add those in the next version and everyone will whoop for joy."

Nige likes this

Personally I don't see how you can "hate" a company. Did they come round and break in to your house? Or defile your sister? There are a lot more things in the world to get worked up about but I guess that is the internet in general.

All the Apple products I have used (not many admittedly) have been good, but mainly it's just the eye watering prices that they charge for them that puts me off.

Personally I don't see how you can "hate" a company. Did they come round and break in to your house? Or defile your sister? There are a lot more things in the world to get worked up about but I guess that is the internet in general.

That's human nature in general - and companies spend fortunes on getting themselves loved/adored, a wonderful public image etc. so it's not unreasonable that that often backfires.Personally, I find I can hold views on dozens of subjects at any one time, so it's not like it's interfering with my schedule ;)

Ack, I just came to post that! The hilarity of "I'd like to see Tim Cook make an affidavit as to why it takes 14 days to update a notice on a website" - that must have been the "Ah, maybe we'd better do as we're told."

lolwut

It's just video calling, however Skype's video calling is just video calling??

It's all video calling. Skype call it skype or skyping. Apple call it FaceTime. When you go to Skype someone you don't say "I'm going to Video Call my mum". You say "I'm going to Skype mum".

Skype is a product name which has been subverted to become a verb. Facetime is how they market videocalling, there's a difference.

Btw, Skype does call the video call just video call...I'm looking at the skype programme right now and the button says videocall.

I just had a chat earlier today with a new colleague who had an early HTC android and he said that he'll get an iPhone next as it just works. That's fine and I'll definitely agree that pre-ICS era, the phones were hit and miss but I think since start of this year we've had products that are just as polished and smooth as the Apple offering; but it seems "non-tech" people don't see it that way.