Sign in to follow this  
mus422

Oculus Rift

Couldn't see a thread for the upcoming Oculus Rift so thought I'd start one.

I'm really hoping it lives up to the promise and hype as I think it could be mind blowingly good!

Some nice links to items on the device:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1523379957/oculus-rift-step-into-the-game?ref=live

http://www.tested.com/tech/452817-ces-2013-oculus-rift-may-not-change-gaming-it-will-change-how-we-design-games/

http://youtu.be/xpV7qq1vyd4

My main concern with any VR headset is if it's going to irreparably damage my eyesight.  They mentioned the Virtual Boy fairly early on and pretty much dismissed it as nothing like what they were doing, but I'm still worried about fastening glaring screens that close to my eyes.  I'd be curious to see how it progresses, but I'm thinking a fairly hefty price tag is going to put most people off (If the eye-bleeding thing isn't an issue).

It sounds like a character from Transformers. ;)

I'm not convinced that this will succeed where others have failed.

Track IR, for example. Still going but anyone here ever heard of/used it?

Another niche, expensive gimmick imho.

I feel like this is the third time, in my lifetime (3 decades), that a company has come along claiming to have cracked VR headsets. Not getting my hopes up until it's in production with massive developer support and ideally back-ported support for some older titles. At some point we need to figure out how to make the next step in immersion. Maybe this is it..

Thought I'd pop this in here in case anyone was interested - Test of TF2 running on the Oculus Rift by the guys at Tested.com

Looks cool :)

And they make some honest negative comments about the current limitations of the Dev Kit design too.

I will refer you to my comment #2 in this thread and then point to the ginger beardy face in the video still above.

It looks like his sex face is in full operation.

I rest my case.

Perhaps is IS his sex face?

Maybe he's watching 3D pr0n?

"Oooh, watch out. You could have somebody's eye out with that!".

If this ever takes off, then I can see it being used in a sit-com - bloke sits down at PC and dons his Oculus Rift for a bit of "gentleman's relaxation time".

In mid-flow (see still above) in walks his wife, with the local vicar, his mother-in-law and the gay neighbour. He carries on, oblivious.

Cue much canned laughter, looks of shock and horror from the onlookers, and perhaps a saucy wink of approval to camera from the camp neighbour.

Man then realises there's someone in the room, gets up quickly, whips off Oculus Rift as his trousers fall down to his ankles.

"Oh hello, I was just .... doing the .... Ocado ... shop....I was... looking for ... some .... sausages?"

Cue much canned laughter, camp look to camera etc....

Perhaps is IS his sex face?

Maybe he's watching 3D pr0n?

"Oooh, watch out. You could have somebody's eye out with that!".

If this ever takes off, then I can see it being used in a sit-com - bloke sits down at PC and dons his Oculus Rift for a bit of "gentleman's relaxation time".

In mid-flow (see still above) in walks his wife, with the local vicar, his mother-in-law and the gay neighbour. He carries on, oblivious.

Cue much canned laughter, looks of shock and horror from the onlookers, and perhaps a saucy wink of approval to camera from the camp neighbour.

Man then realises there's someone in the room, gets up quickly, whips off Oculus Rift as his trousers fall down to his ankles.

"Oh hello, I was just .... doing the .... Ocado ... shop....I was... looking for ... some .... sausages?"

Cue much canned laughter, camp look to camera etc....

So like every other episode of Mrs Brown's Boys then?

Never seen it, but that kind of thing, yes. Cheesy seventies Carry On style , double entendre, innuendo ridden sit-com.

The BBC does still make them!

But no one will see you with it on, so what difference would it make.

Again like with most 3D things its hard to tell how good it is without using yourself. From what I've heard it is still pretty early in development, people getting dizzy after using it etc.

As I said, affectation ;)

Nothing wrong with v1.0, v1.1, v2.0....

Years down the line, people will be asking "which is the newer model? - The Crystal Cove, The Pirate's Den, or the Devil's Handjob?

;)

And whatever it's called;

you still look an utter cock wearing it :mellow:

Seems like a lot of people are scared of the future and looking for an excuse to moan about OR - I find that weird, why anyone isn't enthusiastic about a working VR platform is beyond me!? I hope this is as amazing as it looks :D

I don't expect to use it for all games of course but it will make a lot of games even more enjoyable, IMO

Seems like a lot of people are scared of the future and looking for an excuse to moan about OR - I find that weird, why anyone isn't enthusiastic about a working VR platform is beyond me!? I hope this is as amazing as it looks :D

I don't expect to use it for all games of course but it will make a lot of games even more enjoyable, IMO

I'm not so much scared as unconvinced, but I hope I'm proved wrong.

I like the "exo skeleton" (read: a couple of straps around your arm) they've been trying to get funding for. Over-enthusiastic Wii users weren't destructive enough, they want people to essentially blindfold themselves and wave their arms around?! :wacko: