Sign in to follow this  
mus422

Oculus Rift

You should watch/listen to the discussion on the latest Tested.com Podcast - they have very interesting opinions on this.

Having listened to that podcast its clearer to me now what's going on, and why it was always going to happen. Simply put Oculus was always likely to be bought by one of several bigger companies. They needed a larger organisation to provide the backing and support required to bring a device, like the Rift, to the mass market. With the investment they've had so far it wasn't likely that they could produce a few million units by themselves. Now they have a big brother who can get them better deals with manufacturers etc.

The only question is whether Facebook will prove to be the right partner for them, and compared to the other possibilities its an interesting question.

Who else could have bought Oculus? Amazon, Google, Microsoft, Sony? I don't think Amazon or Google would be a better prospect. Microsoft seem to want to sell off Xbox so I can't see them supporting VR and Sony are doing their own thing - plus they don't have the cash to buy Oculus.

I'm still optimistic that the Rift will be a great piece of kit and we'll get to see the first commercial version some time this year.

Hopefully things will settle down and the Oculus guys can now get on with making the best device they can without worrying about needing extra investment.

He said that they wouldn't sell in order to work on someone else's vision/product - that doesn't mean Facebook has done that, they could just as easily have said "OK we'll sell, but only if it's agreed that we do X, Y and Z, no interference." 

I can quite understand why Oculus would sell, what I don't understand is where these valuations come from.

Some of the posts on OcUK about this that aren't just "OMG BOOKFACE IN MY EYES" are really interesting from the social VR perspective.

OK, we're on a gaming / pc enthusiast form but I personally think people are missing the bigger picture.

VR has got so much more to give than simple first person shooters and generic gaming that we know today.

The social side of VR is pretty amazing in my book. As an owner of first dev kit, and with two coming for the second, I can personally vouch that some of the most compelling examples of VR is based in a social environment.

The one thing I've spent the most time experimenting in is a VR theatre, where you can look around and interact with others in the room. They can look at you, even wave (through use of the hydra) and it's uncanny experience.

Lets not forget as well that of the most interesting aspects of the couch knights games demoed at GDC wasn't the game itself but the full body avatar sitting opposite you that could look into you eyes and give you a nod to start the game. Subtle, but genius in my opinion.

Or how about the mobile market? If you could get the rift working in conjunction with your phone it could be incredible. A simple example would just be using it on a plane with noise cancelling headphones on to watch a movie in a VR theatre. Unless you've tried it you maybe don't know but I'm telling you it's possible to use the rift in a tiny cupboard but have your mind convinced you're sitting in an open field.

And this takes me on the other markets - how about medical? How about bed bound people being able to experience inaccessible locations? How about the elderly (or just people that are far away) being able to experience the "presence" of being at an event or show.

VR crosses boundaries. Young / old, male / female - everyone i've shown it to, regardless of their interest in games, is blow away by the possibilities and manys first thoughts for it's use don't even touch on gaming.

You know why I've got two DK2's coming? Because even before the Facebook announcement I had changed my targeted development and interests from single player experiences to social engagements.

In my opinion Facebook is a surprisingly good fit, and the people at Oculus wouldn't have taken a deal they didn't think was going to work.

Whether that turns out to be the case is a completely different story! :)

What valuation do you think it should have been? More or less?

Considering FB paid around $16 Billion for WhapsApp it seems to me Oculus could be a bargain in the long run.

I have no idea how much, but I would have thought considerably less - they've yet to release anything more than dev kits, have presumably not yet made any profit and are facing competition from companies with a pre-existing userbase and hardware. I can understand investing in potential but a billion dollars or more seems insane. Sure, they paid even more for Whatsapp, but that doesn't make this easier to understand, it just makes me more confused.

I guess as a business deal it clearly made sense to Oculus and FB to get into bed together. I also can't imagine someone like John Carmack not saying something if he wasn't okay with the deal. Maybe he's not allowed to say anything, as he will have a contract, but I'm sure something would have leaked out.

I've had time to think about it, since my initial reaction, and I think so long as we get a great device I don't see there being a problem if they're owned by

Facebook.

I'm actually quite tempted to order the second Dev Kit now.

Some of the posts on OcUK about this that aren't just "OMG BOOKFACE IN MY EYES" are really interesting from the social VR perspective.

I stopped reading your post from OcUK when i realised he was describing a cinema!

I stopped reading your post from OcUK when i realised he was describing a cinema!

Why is that bad? Or perhaps imagine it in a Google street view scenario. Can't afford or not physically able to go somewhere? Strap in this kit and you can feel like you're there.

Now I'm thinking of something like Total Recall..

Hightlights from the Oculus Rift Health and Safety guide! :rolleyes:

http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/07/29/virtual-reality-exposure-and-other-fun-things-from-the-oculus-rifts-health-and-safety-guide/

Also, the Dev Kit 2 has started shipping for people. Did anyone actually order this? Or waiting for the final product like me?

I was initially sceptical, and will wait for SP1 or whatever before buying, but I think I will go for this if reviews are good.

Was playing ETS2 at home with my 9 year old niece over the weekend, and she would love this!

So my friend got his Oculus Rift Dev Kit 2 on Tuesday and we had a play with it last night.  The head tracking and local movement is 99% there.  the one thing that really let it down for me was the resolution.  Even though it's 1080p its no where near high enough.  I suspect the consumer version will sport a 4k display, and really, it needs that minimum to be of acceptable resolution in use.

We played various demos and Elite.  Looking left and right activates the menus but you have to lean in to read the text, it's simply not legible at present.  Also you really need 75fps (native refresh rate) to get get stutter free performance, which I believe is going to be upped to 90fps in the retail version.  So, you'll need a rig capable of powering 4k @ 90 fps to give the performance you'll desire.  

I feel like I'm putting a downer on it, but I'm not, it's really really good, but there's a reason it's a dev kit at present - much much tweaking between programs to get it to play with various software.  Really wouldn't recommend getting it at this stage unless you're SERIOUSLY committed.  I thought I was, but having tried it, I'm happy to wait another year.

While obviously faked, this is a great example of the problems still faced by the resolution.  Switch between 1080p and 4k and you'll see the difference it makes - http://vr.mkeblx.net/oculus-sim/

Also this is a great article comparing the DK1 kit and DK2 kit - http://in2gpu.com/2014/08/10/oculus-rift-dk1-vs-dk2/

Of particular interest is this image:

DK1 on the left, DK2 on the right:
6.jpg

Notice the amount of black between the pixels, for me DK1 does a better job using it's RGB display setup, even though it's lower resolution.  Also the chromatic aberration on DK2 was really distracting (colour seperation in the RGB components around the edge of the image).  Also I believe it's intentional, I really didn't see any benefit in use and thought it was very distracting.  Again DK1 display looks better in this regard as far as I'm concerned.  What I really want to see is something akin to the DK1 display @ 4k resolution in the final product.