Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mus422

Oculus Rift

114 posts in this topic

My friend has been wanting one for ages. I asked him yesterday how much he thought it would be (£300) and how much he was willing to pay (£400).

He bought one anyway even at £500 which to me seems steep. On the plus side, at least I can now go test one out.

I think it's very expensive for a gimmicky piece of tech. It might well be quite fun to use for the odd game designed for VR but it's not something I can see replacing my monitors and this is more expensive than both of those put together.

If I was seriously considering it though I'd need to be able to have a go with one, it's one of those things that might not agree with you and £500 is too much to make a gamble.

If they'd been 300 I think a lot more people would give it a go - but 500 quid is just way to much of an investment - I also don't really understand people comparing it to the cost of a new mobile phone or TV - no one "needs" a VR headset - people need phones and TV's

I really do hope it succeeds though as I think its a cool technology - I just don't want to spend 500 quid buying one.

Even when I thought it would be around half the price, it was dubious purchase for me as my PC isn't quite up to scratch. 

If I wanted to get this now I'd have to spend nearly a grand in all! I'm out!

My rig is up to it so I could................

But right now most of the stuff I play isn't the right kind of game and I'm more inclined to see how the Steam one pans out.  Once there are some good decent games available that will be a bigger incentive.

46 minutes ago, Shogun said:

It's bad enough me having Noise Canceling headphone on while the missus is sat with me, if i buy one of these and wear it then i might be getting divorced!

If you wear one you won't even realise she's gone :D

cptwhite and Shogun like this

15 hours ago, Shogun said:

It's bad enough me having Noise Canceling headphone on while the missus is sat with me, if i buy one of these and wear it then i might be getting divorced!

And this is a bad thing?

The thing I've realised recently, is now matter how good the effect it (resolution / latency / immersion), it will only be useful in two scenarios:

Single player games and VR exclusive multiplayer games.  I've played with both the DK2 and my own budget VR headset (Homido + Nexus 5) and while the effect shows promise (although it needs higher resolution as I said previously, before I'd buy into it).  One thing they cannot fix (i suspect) is that in competitive gaming it somewhat handicaps you compared to using monitors (you can't spin your head around 180 deg in 0.3 seconds for example in the case of a first person shooter, compared to using a monitor).  As such a large portion of existing games become instantly impractical to use with the Rift (even if technically possible).

If VR is to succeed in the PC gaming space, aside from all the usual arguments for ease of use and cost to buy-in to the experience, a change in the way we play or attitude to competitive gaming may need re-adjustment for it to be widely adopted long-term.

22 hours ago, cptwhite said:

The thing I've realised recently, is now matter how good the effect it (resolution / latency / immersion), it will only be useful in two scenarios:

Single player games and VR exclusive multiplayer games.

Not necessarily. I can imagine someone using a VR headset would have an advantage in online Sim games, such as Racing/Formula 1 games or Airplane/combat Fighter games. Or, for example if you prefer to jump into a jet on Battlefield 4 rather than run around on foot.