Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bsoltan

Playstation 4

263 posts in this topic

http://www.edge-online.com/news/playstation-4-revealed/

Development sources with working knowledge of both next generation consoles have told us that PlayStation 4 will be more powerful than the next Xbox, will ship with a redesigned controller and launch by the end of the year in Japan and the US. PlayStation 4’s European launch will follow in early 2014.

Sony is set to reveal its next PlayStation on Wednesday February 20th at an event dubbed ‘see the future’. Sony Computer Entertainment released a teaser video last night to announce the event. Below, our sources revealed what to expect from PlayStation 4.

http://youtu.be/d-3GMHIgR-U

The controller

Sources close to the hardware have revealed to us that PS4 will ship with a redesigned controller which is the same size as an existing DualShock but features a small touchpad in place of the existing Select, Start and PS buttons. The tech is based on Vita’s rear touchpad, and is similarly responsive in use. A new Share button on the controller will, when pressed, launch a new feature that will allow screenshots and video to be distributed online. The PS4 hardware will continually record the most recent 15 minutes of onscreen action (with no processing penalty, claims our source), which users will then be able to edit and broadcast via the Internet.

The launch

We’re told that PlayStation 4 will launch in Japan and the US by Christmas, with a Euro rollout following in early 2014, the delay attributed to the complexities involved in European distribution. Alongside the console, Sony will also introduce a new, improved iteration of its PlayStation Eye peripheral, which remains compatible with the PlayStation Move controller. Move will be available at launch, but it’s not clear yet whether it will be bundled with the hardware.

The specification

Sony has already earned an enormous amount of goodwill among studios working with PS4 development hardware. Privately, Sony representatives have conceded that the company made a mistake in creating such esoteric architecture for PS3, and its strategy for PS4 gives developers more opportunities this time around, notably because the hardware is much more PC-like in its makeup than PS3.

We have confirmed with sources that recently leaked tech specs are accurate. Though Durango devkits offer 8GB of DDR3 RAM, compared to Orbis’s 4GB, Sony’s GDDR5 solution is capable of moving data at 176 gigabytes per second, which should eliminate the sort of bottlenecks that hampered PS3 game performance. Importantly, we’ve learned that Sony has told developers that it is pushing for the final PS4 RAM to match up to Microsoft’s 8GB.

Both platforms are driven by eight-core AMD CPUs clocked at 1.6GHz, with Microsoft opting for a D3D11.x GPU from an unknown source and Sony utilising a more capable solution in AMD’s ‘R10XX’ architecture, alongside the so-called ‘Liverpool’ system-on-chip. It’s clear Sony has designed a system that, on paper, outperforms Microsoft’s next Xbox. One source familiar with both platforms tells us that in real terms Sony’s console is “slightly more powerful” and “very simple to work with”. Ultimately, the performance differences between the two consoles will have as much bearing on multiplatform releases as the differences between PS3 and 360 – very little – but Sony will be expecting big-budget first party releases such as the PS4 Uncharted sequel to demonstrate its console’s superiority.

I figured Microsoft would be the first off the mark but seems Sony are not only announcing their announcement but this indicates their hardware is better.

I believe the difference will be negligible as they're not coming up with some fancy cell processor. It's like the difference between having an i5 and an i7, not a great deal.

Good news is it shouldn't be anywhere near as expensive as the PS3 on launch. Definitely interested myself, some games are just better on a big screen. I also don't fancy paying MS for the inevitable Gold subscription. When I was playing the 360 all the time it wasn't so bad, but now, bit of a rip off.

Having owned both of the current gen, I personally don't see any argument.  360 was the clear winner, even though its the PS3 I'm currently left with (albeit its the drive is broken).

I always found the PS3 shit online compared to XBOX Live.  PSN+ made up for that to a degree, but the actual online multiplayer just isn't as smooth and that is a big factor these days.

I do also feel the PS3 was never properly exploited and probably was the more powerful console, but developers struggled with it and the cross platform games were nearly always better on the 360.

With the current state of Sony (i.e the mess the Vita is in with no games on the horizon and again I feel I can comment as I have one), I don't see a different outcome with the next gen, especially if Microsoft get Blu Ray on board.

I know if I could pick one just now it would be the 720, or whatever it is going to be called.

I really hope the 20th of February isn't about PS4 if I'm honest.

Sony have an excellent machine in the VITA, one that needs a proper boost otherwise it's dead soon. Price drop like the 3DS, free games on purchase, new games etc. That's what this should be all about IMO.

Oh, and a release date for The Last Guardian.

The Vita is great as a piece of hardware and I don't regret getting it as there's a few good games and play a lot whilst the mrs watches tv etc. I particularly like virtual tennis online.

But fuck me there's no games on the horizon. You look at the release list for the coming year and there is about 6 games. It's almost like Sony want to kill it off already which I don't understand as they must have sank a fair few quid into the R and D of the thing.

I guess it's because developers will be concerned with the lack of sales on hardware, but this could easily be rectified as said with a good cut in the price and two or three killer games.

COD should have been its saviour but by all accounts they really fucked it up.

The Vita is great as a piece of hardware and I don't regret getting it as there's a few good games and play a lot whilst the mrs watches tv etc. I particularly like virtual tennis online.

But fuck me there's no games on the horizon. You look at the release list for the coming year and there is about 6 games. It's almost like Sony want to kill it off already which I don't understand as they must have sank a fair few quid into the R and D of the thing.

I guess it's because developers will be concerned with the lack of sales on hardware, but this could easily be rectified as said with a good cut in the price and two or three killer games.

COD should have been its saviour but by all accounts they really fucked it up.

You really think so? I don't, the Sony Handhelds have all been fairly similar. R&D minimal surely.

Anyone else planning to watch the live revel event this evening?

I think I'll try to catch the first hour as it starts at midnight for me

I'll be watching, staying up for it. Can't face getting up in the morning and having 9000 editorial headlines to sift though.

Man that was a terrible presentation, just awful, no PS4 hardware reveal, a load of vague promises of possibly cool future tech - one decent in game demo namely Killzone - and that was it.

Sony will be slated for this and rightly so.

The cloud stuff in particular is a good idea in theory but as soon as you have someone with a download cap or a poor upload speed, its pointless.

There's got to be more that they're not letting onto yet, also that guy presenting the announcement of the hardware features came across as a mad professor, dude looked crazy.

I was impressed but also left wondering "is that it?". I feel we will also feel the same following the Microsoft reveal (whenever that is).

so wait.... we still dont know what it ac actually looks like? we just know its a nomal PS controller with a touch pad and a sensor?

Yes that's correct, Sony confirmed the leaked specs - but only in a highlights format - revealed their new Move add-on which to me looked like Kinect, made a lot of promises such as streaming old PS1, PS2 and PS3 games (I wonder how much that service will cost on subscription?) and showed 4 games plus a few game engines

There was no PS4 hardware reveal, no ideas on price and no confirmation of the release strategy

It felt like the presentation was a last minute rush to beat Microsoft to the starting line. Poor

I was watching it when the stream died 10 minutes in so I slept instead, glad I don't stay up.

That doesn't mean I'm not excited though: I like the controller and it's idea (when used properly, Move was way better than Kinect and Wii so is should be good) and as a VITA owner, streaming should be awesome.

Plus there's that Knack game.

Does it matter that they didn't actually show what it'll look like? Unless it's the size of a garden shed then it's hardly going to be a deal breaker.

Looks like it has a couple of good launch games, from Bungie and Activision. Although the new Xbox will likely have the same.

Controller looks good, I hate the current PS3 controller.

Does it matter that they didn't actually show what it'll look like?

Looks like it has a couple of good launch games, from Bungie and Activision. Although the new Xbox will likely have the same.

1) Yes of course it matters what it looks like, that's like Apple announcing a new iPhone and then deciding not to show it to anyone? Are Sony saying they still don't know what the final device will look like when its only 8 months away from launching? Or they want to hold that back for E3? Its just a really weird move.

2) As you say the Bungie/ Activision stuff is non-exclusive so won't be a machine seller. The Diablo 3 reveal died on its arse. The only things I liked the look of were Killzone and the Capcom engine demo.

3) I don't see that much difference between the current controller and the new one, so if you hate the current one why the love for the new one?

Does it matter that they didn't actually show what it'll look like? Unless it's the size of a garden shed then it's hardly going to be a deal breaker.

i think it does matter considering the first iteration of the PS3 looked like i could make waffles or toasted sandwiches in it. Why do all this and then not actually show us the product they want us to buy? it doesn't make sense to me

mus422 likes this

I was watching it when the stream died 10 minutes in so I slept instead, glad I don't stay up.

That doesn't mean I'm not excited though: I like the controller and it's idea (when used properly, Move was way better than Kinect and Wii so is should be good) and as a VITA owner, streaming should be awesome.

Plus there's that Knack game.

How can you possibly think move is better than Kinnect? No way that's just crazy talk. Kinnect when used properly and not just a "Hold out arms to auto win race" was technically brilliant. So good in fact that it has been taken by the "hacking" community and used for tons of interesting projects. You pretty much love all consoles so I'm surprised to hear you say that.

Anyway the talk, is it me or did the graphics look exactly the same as the kind of stuff that is on PS3? It feels like the jump is minimal at best.

I noticed that realistic flowing long coats was the theme of the day and that Ubisoft had watched a lot of Person of Interest.

I didn't see all of it so missed the controller but sounds like word is it's shit.

1) Yes of course it matters what it looks like, that's like Apple announcing a new iPhone and then deciding not to show it to anyone? Are Sony saying they still don't know what the final device will look like when its only 8 months away from launching? Or they want to hold that back for E3? Its just a really weird move.

2) As you say the Bungie/ Activision stuff is non-exclusive so won't be a machine seller. The Diablo 3 reveal died on its arse. The only things I liked the look of were Killzone and the Capcom engine demo.

3) I don't see that much difference between the current controller and the new one, so if you hate the current one why the love for the new one?

I don't think so, a phone is a very personal bit of equipment that you hold in your hand. It's also more of a fashion accessory these days so looks is everything.

This is a box with computer equipment inside it that sits under your TV. We know that it will be black, sleek and look contemporary in your living room among the Blu Ray player and Sky Box.  I'm not saying what it looks like isn't important, I just wouldn't doubt them on this part after the the aesthetics of the PS3 which looked great IMO.

I don't find the current controller very comfortable to hold at all, especially when the Xbox controller is so good. It actually puts me off playing games on the PS3. The shape of this just looks like it's a lot nicer to hold in the hands. Time will tell but that's my first impression.

I don't think so, a phone is a very personal bit of equipment that you hold in your hand. It's also more of a fashion accessory these days so looks is everything.

Really?! You actually think of a phone as a fashion accessory? lol  :lol:

Really?! You actually think of a phone as a fashion accessory? lol  :lol:

No not me personally but for a lot of people of course it is. Phone companies have pushed some of their phones to be like that as well with various colours and styling.

It seemed like Sony wanted to make a big song and dance about changing their approach, through new social sharing and
connected gaming, which is great for people with 20-30 friends who all have a PS4 as well - but for sad loners like me I couldn't
give a flying fuck about social gaming.

I can only assume, and hope, they'll make things a lot more clear at E3.

I also don't expect it will be available in Europe this year. They'll focus on the US and Japan. But it would have been nice to have that confirmed.

My main gripe with the presentation was the lack of new games, it always comes down to the games, all the social stuff
is fluff, all the media playback options are nice to haves - but give me some high res, story led, kick ass games that
I can't get on my PC or any other platform - then I'll be interested.

Otherwise fuck off with the cock tease.