Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Rinshaw

Tablet

Question

Me again,

I'm looking for a nandroid tablet for use at home and travelling, but I've managed this long without one so I havn't really been keeping up with them.

Originally I was looking at a Galaxy Tab 3 8" but then I saw the Nexus 7. Can anyone recommend either or an alternative?

Looking to spend around the £200 mark.

Ta

23 answers to this question

Get a Nexus 7 even if its the older version if you want to go cheaper. You really cant go wrong

:+1: 

*gasp* Gav, have you just given advice about a, a, a..... TABLET?!

Who are you and what have you done with Gav?

I'm happy to recommend something as having a pretty screen - I'm at no stage suggesting I approve of his decision to buy a tablet ;)

A little more than 200 but the LG 8.3 Pad is highly recommended. It's far superior to the Samsung's current offering.

Just for a change of theme, the Nook HD devices can be had for about 80 quid and are very nice screens, very responsive etc. The only thing is there's no camera built in.

Yep a nook HD+ 9" screen can be had for around £130 and has a really good screen again no camera though

A Nook is a good shout, especailly when you can unlock/root it to open up it's functionality!

Thanks guys, you have narrowed down my search to either a Nexus or a Nook.

Cheers once again.

Have a comparison with the 8.3 and a 7incher, I think you'll find the former gives more screen space without compromising its portability.

Well that was lucky - 32gb wifi nexus 7 for £179.99 today on play.com. The wife was going to grab me one in town today. Great timing, saved a good £40.

http://www.play.com/stores/PixelElectronics/listing/862056691

The Nexus 7 arrived over the weeked. It's absolutely amazeballs.

Many thanks for the advice guys.

catchamonkey likes this

Samsung Tab 3 for £129 plus £50 John Lewis Voucher.

http://10ways.com/fb/samsungtab3

Thread hijack!

So, as you may or may not be aware, I have a little one cooking nicely and will be ready mid August. As such I was thinking of using my Foscam F9821W V2 IP camera as a baby camera. I've seen a few baby monitors with cameras around and they seem crap. Tiny screens, and very poor resolution and framerates. 

I will be getting a separate Baby Monitor to keep an eye (ear) on the babies sound etc, but but I think the IP camera will be more than sufficient to keep watch as we put the baby to sleep. Especially with night mode.

As such, I was thinking of getting a separate tablet to be permanently used as the screen for the IP camera. Something to sit on the coffee table, for example, so we just need a casual glance to see what the baby is up to. We do have our iPhones and iPads etc but I didn't want to have to keep loading/refreshing the software (I'm lazy like that!).

So, what is a cheap nasty tablet that'll literally just be used to run the Foscam, or third party IP camera software. Android probably. Does anything exist under £100?  I've heard various things about the HUDL but don't know if that'll suffice. Needs access to the Android Marketplace. 

Many thanks

Easiest route I think of would be a nexus 7, second hand, should be able to get a 1st gen pretty cheap now.

+1 for the Nexus 7 1st Gen in fact i have one spare if you want trial it Wedgy?  You can pick it up from my offices?

In addition i have an Angelcare video monitor and its all very good not had any problems with it atall.

I may have to take you up on that Chris. Looking at the Nexus 7 1st Gen I may be able to pick one up for about £50 so that's not too bad. Probably second hand but that's not a problem. As I say it'll literally be used just to be used as an IP Camera viewer. 

Thinking about it though it'll be a pain if we go away on holiday or something as I wouldn't be able to take it with me. I'm wondering if something like that Angelcare monitor would be more suitable?

I can bring the tablet in this week if you want to test it? 

We use the Angelcare AC1120  and its really good, if you get it also buy a Gorilla pod with it and you can mount it in various positions in the bedroom so you can get a good viewing angle, also if you get it from Amazon and you dont get on with it its less hassle to return. 

I picked ours up for £70 though not £100. 

We use an Angelcare, albeit one without a camera (it has a sensor mat) and it's been excellent. As a brand I would recommend them greatly. We have taken it various places on holiday with us, very useful.

Only if that's not too much trouble. After today I'm only in Thursday this week. There's no immediate rush either. Just wanna get it sorted before August so plenty of time. 

Cheers mate.

I have the tablet at work now mate. PM me when you want to arrange pickup 

Hi mate. I should be able to pick this up tomorrow lunch time if that's good for you? About 1:15. I think you're just round the corner from me.

Did you want to PM me your work address?

Cheers mate. Appreciate it.