Sobtanian

Titanfall

177 posts in this topic

Surprised we don't have a thread for this yet, so here's one :)

Been playing the beta this weekend on PC. I have a confession: nothing about Titanfall interested me when it was announced. It looked like just another futuristic shooter with movement mechanics that Brink tried, and failed, to do. 6 vs 6 only? pfffffffffft.

Then I went and played the beta.

And blow me it's bloody AMAZING. The main factor here being FUN FUN FUN! It's fun to run like crazy, jump and double jump, and wall run for a bit. It makes for amazing maneuverability that pisses all over Brink. It also makes the playing field more level. Titan chasing you down? Double jump over the wall, and out of their vision.

And those Titans! The game starts with everyone as infantry, and after two minutes your Titan is built. You call for it to deploy ("fall", hence the game's name) and it drops down and you're in. And it feels bloody great piloting your mech, with the AI voice prompting you. Remember the old, good, Mech Warrior games? This feels like that.

The game is balanced really well too. Infantry have very powerful anti-Titan weapons they can use, and the Titan gets an alert when a soldier is locking in. At the same time, Titan vs Titan battles are a sight to behold. Sparks flying everywhere, the Titans shoot and melee each other and it's so damn fun. It also has the current FPS staples of load outs and unlocks and challenges, if that's your thing.

And I can now understand the 6 vs 6 limit. Any more and the game would end up being a spawn/die/spawn/die cycle, with a few powerful mechs dominating the scene. As it stands, the maps and gameplay are designed to fit this limit in PERFECTLY. At no stage do you find yourself wandering around with no one in sight, and it's constant action. Nothing beats running round a corner to witness a full-on Titan battle, and you join in by blasting them with a massive rocket :D

And the MOST exciting thing about it all is that infantry can climb up and tackle enemy Titans directly. The AI voice in your Titan starts to almost panic, warning you that there's a soldier on your shell and there's nothing you can do about it but get out and try to kill them. Couple that with the soldier's ability to double jump and wall run and you have one exciting game.

The last game I played we lost, and I was watching the last team member play. He faced a Titan, so ran off around a corner, quickly climbed up the building and jumped landing right on the outside of the same Titan. He then went on to rip the top shell, exposing the weak core and then blasted it with one shot that blew the whole damn thing apart. It was one of those WOAH moments that hammered it home: THIS GAME IS GOING TO BE FUCKING AWESOME!

TL;DR - TITANFALL IS FUCKING AWESOME. BUY IT. BUY IT NOW.

Also read this

http://www.polygon.com/2014/2/15/5412042/what-respawn-and-titanfall-can-teach-the-industry-about-next-gen

And most importantly this, in case you were finding the whole idea of a super fast "twitch" shooter a bit intimidating.

Bottom line is that it's not

http://www.polygon.com/2014/2/14/5411402/titanfall-is-the-perfect-game-for-people-who-are-terrible-at-first

I'm holding off. EAs involved and the general consensus from the gaming world so far is mixed.

I did put my name in the hat for beta but didn't hear anything back.

If the reviews are positive and it appears bug free I will probably get it.

I wasn't selected for Beta either but may consider getting this. Would be nice to play a demo of some fashion. Will keep eye out on how buggy the release is!

You will all know by now I'm sure, but if you signed up for the beta then everyone now has access via Origin - no codes required. 12 gig download though...

Hmmm dare I let my wife try to start the download so it's ready for me getting home

Did you have to sign up for the beta to be part of all, or is all...everyone?

EDIT: Answered my own quessie. Yup, had to sign up....wonder if i did...might help if i could remember my origin detials!!

I didn't get a confirmation email but it showed up in origin and is currently downloading rather fast for a 12gb file according to the mrs. 20% done in 5 minutes.

Edit : now installed and playable, fuck me that was quick.

Oh FFS. I checked last night and this morning and it wasn't showing. I just happen to remote in to my PC on my iPhone as I'm out at the mo, and there it is happily sitting in my origin! D'oh!

Downloading now. Eta 10 minutes!! Not bad for 12GB. Shame I'm not at home!

First few times I played today were fine, but the last few times the game has crashed to desktop when the round ends.  A bit annoying but hopefully something that wont happen in the final release.

Had a few games then got a disconnect.  Found it to be a bit on the laggy side througout, maybe to be expected.

The game itself might actually be pretty decent, though you obviously need the finished product to truly know. 

I was pissed off having to sit through the tutorial, to the point I almost switched it off but I'm glad I stuck it out.

I will get it out of the way, but I think the Titans are shit.  Maybe it is just me, but I felt they were rather pointless and too easy to come by.  I reckon there should be one Titan per team per round.  You should have to do something major to get it and once it arrives, it will be utterly devastating and sway the match in your favour.  As it is they are taken down rather easily and don't do that much.  They feel tacked on to make the game different from COD.

The shotgun is currently rediculous.  I was going around taken out people at will, at a fair distance and they could do fuck all to stop me.  Seems way to overpowered.  Fair enough if really close but the distance it can fire is currently too far.

The running and jumping aspect of the game I was initially unsure of, but it is very smooth and fits in nicely.  Being able to jump up to a window of a building would certainly be helpfull in BF4...............

I'm not convinced there are enough players.  The maps are fairly sizeable and maybe 8v8 would have been better, or even 10 v 10.  I see why they have done it and it's because of the Titans, but this takes me back to the point of having one per team per round as reward for a big mid game achievment.

It does have a COD feel to it no doubt, but given how there is a bit of a concensus at the moment about COD going downhill, this might grab some of the userbase away.

Personally, despite all its many flaws, BF4 shits on this, but it's not really fair to compare the two.

This should be compared to COD to which I can only compare it to Black Ops 2 as it was the last I dabbled in.  As such it does just enough to inject something new and some interest into that particular segment of the market. 

My only real worry is stability issues and (so I've read) lack of rentable servers and lack of modding, just like COD has been.

I will probably buy this once things settle down as I have come away fron my first play with a good impression, despite my criticisms.  It is fairly frantic but  decent bit of fun and I'm glad I got to play the beta as I really wasn't that fussed about it.

EDIT

Played some more, later into the night and was starting to see my concerns raise their ugly head.  The matchmaking must have been putting me with Americans or others as my ping, as well as a few others, went through the roof at 150 and above.  This wasn't the case in the earlier matches.  This was also one of my main bug bears with the way COD went, I hate not being able to choose who I play with.

The North American servers thing was deliberate. There was a message on Twitter to say that they were moving European players over to North American servers to stress test them better. With regards to playing with friends you just have to join a group first and then start playing together.

Played a few rounds last night and found it quite enjoyable particularly the running and jumping about aspect.

Will probably pick it up as £25 seems about right for it and unlike BF4 at the minute it worked perfectly for me even with settings ramped up.

£25.99 on CD Keys is the cheapest I can see it at the moment:

http://www.cdkeys.com/pc/games/titanfall-pc-cd-key-origin?gclid=CKSqsM7L1bwCFUnjwgodxgUA_g

My problem is I have my Origin account on my SSD, which is only 120gb and also has windows on.

Origin obviously has BF4 plus I have Sim City on there and I've more or less ran out of space bar a few Gb so I really need to buy a new larger SSD and copy everything over before getting Titanfall.