Sobtanian

Titanfall

You can choose to install games in different locations with Origin, doesn't have to be on same drive. I have BF4 on my SSD but BF3 and all others on my HDD

I didn't know that.

Was playing again this morning and one thing that is annoying is the bots.  I only ever seem to kill them and struggle to find actual players.

As such my scores are shit.  I get lots of bot kills but they don't really get you much.

I can't stress enough how utterly shit I am at this game!  I'm not gelling with it at all!

Many rounds end with me dead multiple times with only a few grunt kills. I think the beginner weapons are a bit underpowered. I've had enemy pilots in my sights and I fire at them, and they have have all the time in the world to turn around and shoot me dead with one shot.

The only time I did ok and killed 5 pilots was when I picked up a stray carbine weapon in the field which killed with ease!  The rest of the time I can't seem to do anything!

TIL that Titanfall is a Source Engine game.

Respawn chose to build Titanfall on the Source game engine early in their production cycle due to their developers' familiarity and its ability to maintain 60 frames per second on both the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3.[4] In an interview, Respawn software engineer Richard Baker said the company chose Source since Portal 2 performed well on the PlayStation 3 with it, and the console was "the riskiest platform in current gen".[4] The company built upon the engine during development in features such as lighting, rendering, visibility, networking, and tools pipelines.[31] The game also uses Microsoft's cloud computing for multiplayer servers, physics, and artificial intelligence.[22] Offloading this non-player activity frees the local console for visual rendering tasks and better graphics,[4] and the developers for game development (instead of backend maintenance).[32] This arrangement also determines world events in the cloud instead of locally, so position and movement data is downloaded simultaneously by all player-clients.[4] The studio's cloud server access is considered vital to the game's viability,[32][33] and Respawn artist Joel Emslie said they would not have attempted this game without the cloud support.[4] Respawn felt that Kinect support did not suit the game and chose not to support the peripheral.[34]

I can't make up my mind about this. Reviews of the beta I've read seem to suggest it's amazing fun for a few hours but then gets a bit dull. Plus there seems to be certain weapons that work like a win button.

And I'm just not sure that getting in one of those big mech things looks like any fun.

I did the cheeky Mexican VPN route and got Titanfall Deluxe Edition with Season Pass and Battlefield 4 Premium for about £45 ish.

Also 7.35% cashback at TopCashback!

Downloading now.

I'm with burp on this....it has me intrigued but thats about it. I watched robbaz play it and he seemed to do better whilst on foot than when in his titan.

That's kinda the point really. Pilots on foot are just as lethal to a Titan as any other Titan. In fact, if played properly, are more so. For example setting your own Titan on auto pilot, distracting enemy Titans. You then climb up and jump on the enemy Titan's head, ripping the cover off and shooting the  weak point. The poor bugger has you to deal with (the only way to deal with that is to get out and shoot the pilot), while your auto-Titan is pummelling the shit out of his, and may well just kill him when he dismounts.

Done properly, ie co-ordinated with a team, it is FUCKING satisfying :D

That's kinda the point really. Pilots on foot are just as lethal to a Titan as any other Titan. In fact, if played properly, are more so. For example setting your own Titan on auto pilot, distracting enemy Titans. You then climb up and jump on the enemy Titan's head, ripping the cover off and shooting the  weak point. The poor bugger has you to deal with (the only way to deal with that is to get out and shoot the pilot), while your auto-Titan is pummelling the shit out of his, and may well just kill him when he dismounts.

Done properly, ie co-ordinated with a team, it is FUCKING satisfying :D

Which kind of moots the point of a titan for me. When i get enough/kills/dmg/points to get a titan i want it to be a big fuck off thing that takes a bit of a beating...not something a small dude can leap onto and kill in seconds.

Which kind of moots the point of a titan for me. When i get enough/kills/dmg/points to get a titan i want it to be a big fuck off thing that takes a bit of a beating...not something a small dude can leap onto and kill in seconds.

Well it's a similar mechanic to a soldier sneaking up to a tank and lobbing a grenade down the cannon or planting C4. The tank is obviously super powerful in certain situations but has weaknesses, same with the Titan whilst you aren't fighting other Titans you can destroy infantry crazy easily!

To prevent people getting to your core, you have to be aware of your surroundings and toward the end of the beta I was finding it really easy to avoid this. It's a skill element, not something to scoff at.

I liked the install last night. Overall it was 50GB but nearly 40GB of that appeared to be audio files! lol

Yep, it's because it has all the audio languages installed. I'm hoping once released you can clean it up and remove languages you don't want.

No man, it's not that simple obviously. You can't just kill it in seconds, it takes coordination and skill. And EVERYONE gets a Titan after a time limit, so it's not like you gotta do some skills and shit and then lose it in seconds. If you just spawn and stand still you'll get a Titan at more or less the same time as everyone else.

It's a remarkably balanced game but it also suffers from Bulletstorm Syndrome: in that no matter how much promotional videos or screenshots or how much word of mouth anyone puts in, it'll still appear to be totally generic. It's not until you play it that you find out how fucking great it is.

Which I urge everyone who enjoys FPS games to do: play the damn thing, it's great.

Hey Sob,

I missed your message on Origin, think I was cooking tea.

I bought from cdkeys.com and pre-loaded it manually. Then I used SoftEther VPN client before launching Origin, that lets you launch the game and from there you disable the VPN and choose Europe in the bottom right...

Hope that helps.

Also, missus has been ill and I've been running round looking after the kids so I've not had a chance to get stuck in yet!

Hey Sob,

I missed your message on Origin, think I was cooking tea.

I bought from cdkeys.com and pre-loaded it manually. Then I used SoftEther VPN client before launching Origin, that lets you launch the game and from there you disable the VPN and choose Europe in the bottom right...

Hope that helps.

Also, missus has been ill and I've been running round looking after the kids so I've not had a chance to get stuck in yet!

Ah right, then I have a problemo. Cos when I tried VPN I kept getting a "Titanfall could not activate on this account" error and it asks for my key, when I re-enter it it says it's already in use (by me). I was wondering if cdkeys.com keys didn't work with VPN.

I have bought the season pass, maybe that's screwing it up. Who knows as long as it works on Friday.

Ah right, then I have a problemo. Cos when I tried VPN I kept getting a "Titanfall could not activate on this account" error and it asks for my key, when I re-enter it it says it's already in use (by me). I was wondering if cdkeys.com keys didn't work with VPN.

I have bought the season pass, maybe that's screwing it up. Who knows as long as it works on Friday.

A more logical explanation is you're doing it wrong.

Managed to download my copy last night, Origin getting some bizarre speeds at times. Not gonna install till tonight as I've got a dodgy stick of RAM the replacement for which is due today via Corsair's express RMA service.