bsoltan

Apple Thread (Fans And Enthusiasts Edition)

Thread for all Apple discussion; iPhone, iPad, Mac etc.

--

Rumours are surfacing that there will be an event on Oct 4th to announce something, presumably the next iPhone.

Anyone wanting to pick one up? Any features you're hoping it will have?

As a 3GS owner I'm looking to upgrade but I'm wondering if I've got caught in the wrong upgrade cycle if it isn't going to be a big jump from the 4. Also my 3GS isn't doing much wrong to warrant it either, maybe with a freshen up with iOS5 I can keep it for another year.

I upgrade the iPhone every other year - mainly cos my contract is 24 months and when I upgrade it's either free or £20 or something like that.

So I went from launch iPhone to 3G (free for all launch buyers), then skipped 3GS to iPhone 4. So, I won't be upgrading to anything till next year's refresh.

I wish I could say the same about iPads though :) My wife already has her eyes on my iPad 2, despite "inheriting" my original iPad.

You've beaten me to it; creating an Apple thread. :)

I'm interested in the announcement, and my current iPhone 4 contact ends in December. However I'd like to know if it's a proper redesigned, new and exciting "iPhone 5", or whether it's essentially a minor upgrade, little tweaks, iPhone "4GS" before I think about getting a new phone.

I've very happy with my iPhone 4 still. It's an amazing device. If the 5 is something I'd like then I'll def get one, and sell my iPhone 4 on eBay. I got just over £200 for my 3GS last year so I'm hoping for something similar this year.

And yes I'm very much looking forward to the iOS 5 update. Should make my iPhone 4 feel like a new handset! I especially like what they're gonna do with the notification system. Exciting stuff!

The new iPhone is rumored to have a "Teardrop" design, a lot like the MacBook Air. When looking at it from the side it's thinner at the bottom and gradually gets thicker towards the top. It's also looking likely the screen will be stretched to 4" as opposed to the current 3.5".

Personally I really like the 4. It's very fast and smooth in the OS an web browsing is a joy. Email is OK. Built in iPod is a bonus and it looks great. The screen is the party piece, love the hi res. I will more than likely get another iPhone 4 if/when I need a new one, as the 4 will become the "Cheaper" alternative to the iPhone 5 when it's released.

I'm starting to get an urge to drink the Apple Kool-Aid (do they do it in that flavour? Anyway...).

I think I posted on DW about how crap my phone currently is - to the point where its Bluetooth name is "Andy's crap Sony phone". That's after it decided to rename itself CCCccdccwwwqweqd...rrjjj for some reason.

It's now got to the point where it's pressing it's own touchscreen buttons from time to time.

Plus Sky withdrew their support for Remote Record from Symbian phones, meaning Apple or Android only.

I've had an iPod touch for ages, and think it's great, but I think the wife getting an iPad 2 is starting to swing it. That and I can upgrade from October if I pay extra. Just as long as there isn't a repeat of the dropped signal debacle...

EDIT: With regard to the rumours, it's amazing how much speculation is around. There is apparently going to be an iPhone 4S, which apparently looks like the iPhone 4 but has a bevelled edge, but it's only for the Asian market, except it's for the rest of the world as well, etc, etc...

Edited by justplainandy

I will more than likely get another iPhone 4 if/when I need a new one, as the 4 will become the "Cheaper" alternative to the iPhone 5 when it's released.

That's not a bad idea, if I can resist the lure of the brand new device. :D

I have noticed that the 3GS has been getting laggy and there is now some delay in doing stuff where as I'm sure it was smoother before. I'd quite like a 32GB version too. :)

My current HTC desire is due for upgrade in may 2012 at which point, depending on if i can snaffle one for a decent enough priice/contract (I.e ohone for free and same price tarriff i am on- both of which is highly unlikely) in which case i shall probably go for the iphone 4 (which i should be able to get for free and a rather large memory one as well hopefully) as though i do like the desire i have struggled to get anywhere near the usability from it than i would an iphone, purely on the fact that the iphone is so much easier to use....i guess it is like the Windows - Linux argument, they both do the same, but windows make it easier for the uninitiated.

either way the mrs has nabs on the desire!

Edited by SgtDave

The iPhone 4 really for me has been the best device in terms of upgrades from the previous handset.

I had the launch phone, and it was a novelty, but not great. The 3G was good, but the 3GS didn't really do much else extra. The jump to the 4 with the new design, speed and screen was huge.

The battery life of the iPhone 4 is certainly worth a mention. I charge mine every other night and I use it for work with push email enabled from the server at work.

The only problem is that the "Cheaper" alternative is usually only available in 8GB form.

After years of avoidance I gave in and went for a iphone 4 in january and its the best phone i've ever had, got it on a 12 month contract but i'm happy enough to just keep it and go sim only from Jan.

Having said that the lure of a shiny new phone may take over in the next 3 months but i'm definitely staying with an iphone, IMO all android phones tend to be iphone copy/ wannabees anyway.

Finally (just to piss off the anti apple mob further) I picked up a Bose sounddock on monday and it is fantastic in comparison to what I thought was a decent Logitech dock i had previously. :(

iPad 2? No. Not that I've noticed. I've been using it plugged in recently and it I haven't noticed any difference to using it not plugged in.

Another quick question for iPad 2 owners - I want to get a sleeve/case for it. If it fits with the smartcover then great but I don't want to add much bulk. I only have the smartcover at the moment which means I can't really put it in any old bag and don't really like putting it down on surfaces either... Don't want to break the bank, I've been looking at these sleeves by Acase. Seem reasonable.

Ok - quick question for iPad owners.

When your iPad is charging, does the back feel a bit odd? Almost like a vibration?

My wife's does - I think - but I can only feel it if I move my fingers over the surface, not if I just touch it...

Yes. First iPad was like that too.

Does anyone use an 'Office' application on their iPad?

I need something that at a minimum can import, export and fully edit .xls files and sync with Dropbox.

ZDnet have done a recent (2011) comparison of some of the top apps. Here is their summary:

Documents 2: (£1.49) Doesn’t support Office format creation, tiny menus, and loses formatting.

Documents To Go: (£6.99) Not as visually appealing as some, but very functional with no print support.

iWork suite: (Pages-£6.99, Numbers-£6.99, Keynote-£6.99) Visually appealing, fully functional, sets the bar, rather expensive compared to others.

Office2 HD: (£5.49) Excellent functionality, well designed for the iPad, little basic on the icons (similar to DTG), save to PDF is very nice feature.

Quickoffice Pro HD: (£13.99) Visually as good as iWorks, missing some functions in word processor, excellent cloud support.

Smart-Office: (£6.99) Unintuitive formatting functions, very basic, rather expensive for capabilities

They vary quite vastly in prices and I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience for similar uses to what I want.

Pages / iWorks doesn't (won't ever?) have DropBox support but will be getting iCloud support when that launches, so documents can be synced to / from any device.

Thinking about getting all of iWorks, so I can learn it for work..

The thing that puts me off that is that I don't now how well it will integrate with Windows. I don't want to have to have iTunes running or even a separate bit of software. How does iDisk/MobileMe work at the moment on Windows? Anyone use it? Does it even work?

At least Numbers is better than last year, when it launched you couldn't even export to .xls, only did PDF or something!

Office2 HD seems to be a bit of a bargain and a good middleground if I dont' want to fork out for Quickoffice. I might watch some videos tonight to see the UI on them all.

Re: MobileMe/iDisk: I'm a subscribed member. There's a small control panel that automatically syncs everything (contacts, calender, etc) using push. iDisk is just mapped as a network drive if you want it to (I don't use it).

Re: iWorks. I've been using Keynote since iPad launch. Windows integration is easy: you can either transfer files via iTunes, or email, or iDisk, or even Dropbox.

Yes, iWorks and dropbox work fine. The iPad has file associations, and in any app that lets you store/browse files (like dropbox) all you do is choose your file and select "open with.." the relevant iWorks app. That copies the file over and all done.

iWorks is mostly Office compatible, but for example some effects in presentations are exclusive to one or the other, etc. Simple things like that.

Keynote is surprisingly easy to use. The first I sat down to do an entire presentation with it I was amazed at how easy it was to do. Not used the other iWorks apps to comment on them.

Well, I've already got a buyer lined up for my iPhone 4 IF I decide to sell it. It all depends on the actual announcement on Tuesday 6pm. If it's a proper new design with bells and whistles then I prob will upgrade, however if it's, eg, a 4GS type 'update' then I prob wont.

Incidently the buyer is the person who bought my 3GS off me last year. We've agreed on £220 as well. I 'may' get more for it on eBay but then again I may get less! I'm happy with that price. He says the 3GS is still going strong!

I told him I'll contact him again next week after the announcement with my decision.