bsoltan

Apple Thread (Fans And Enthusiasts Edition)

How are people here utilising their iPad's for work, if at all? I remember you Sob saying you were using it at the hospital? Or do you just use it mainly for pleasure?

When I got an iPad last year I thought the browsing was great but didn't utilise it to it's full potential. But since then i've seen my Dad use his to great effect for work purposes, so i'm thinking of getting an iPad 2 for work. It would actually be really useful.

How have you found the 2 compared to the original iPad in terms of speed? I've never had a go with the latest one.

No, it wasn't me personally. I do take it sometimes on night shifts, but that's to use it for entertainment when it's quiet.

It was someone I worked for - he carried it around and put lists on it, patient details, results, textbooks etc. He still does AFAIK (I've moved jobs).

As for speed, the 2 is significantly faster, it's very noticeable. These days, if I need to use the wife's iPad, it's always striking how much slower it is.

How are people here utilising their iPad's for work, if at all?

Not sure if it's global but my store is starting to run business workshops, showing how the iPad can be used for business purposes.

We get a few business customers and they often mention that either they or their company are trialling iPad to see how it can benefit them.

Often it's as a portable filing cabinet, for carrying huge amounts of paperwork in PDF format.

We had one guy buying one to use on building sites to photo constructions and make notes, carry blueprints etc. All on one device.

Sometimes it'll be to use for displaying portfolios / brochures to clients. Some use it for managing payments and invoices.

I think the workshops will be focusing on a selection of business orientated apps, like those for real estate agents, to illustrate how all you need is the right app and the iPad becomes a useful business tool.

Anybody else running Epic Citadel on their iPad??

Just read about it via NoVi's thread on Epic getting their Unreal3 engine running in Flash11 using hardware acceleration. Very impressive stuff.

But seeing it run on a mobile device is mind-blowing..

They do it in my local Apple store too, at least from what I've heard people say.

Don't know if I mentioned this at the time (probably did) but when I was queuing for the iPad 2 there was a chiropractor in line with me who was buying it for business. To be able to pull up records of patients, or show examples and diagrams, in particular animated ones that wouldn't be the same in a book or paper.

He had a friend that had been using it for the same purpose with great results.

I know photographers that use them for displaying portfolios, although this is a slightly easier thing to do.

There is now an awful lot of push towards business to use them, Apple have business dedicated Apps to cater for that market.

Yep. Infinity blade looks rather impressive too and that uses similar technology but a different engine I believe. Seems there will be some good competition for that kind of technology behind browser and portable graphics.

Edited by bsoltan

Which one do you work at grrpoop?

I think Siri's going to be awesome but I'm going to hold onto my 4 for now - after all, it's only 3 months old! Just not looking forward to the hoards of "I feel let down by Apple because there's no 5" when they never, ever said there would be.

They do it in my local Apple store too, at least from what I've heard people say.

Don't know if I mentioned this at the time (probably did) but when I was queuing for the iPad 2 there was a chiropractor in line with me who was buying it for business. To be able to pull up records of patients, or show examples and diagrams, in particular animated ones that wouldn't be the same in a book or paper.

He had a friend that had been using it for the same purpose with great results.

I know photographers that use them for displaying portfolios, although this is a slightly easier thing to do.

There is now an awful lot of push towards business to use them, Apple have business dedicated Apps to cater for that market.

Yep. Infinity blade looks rather impressive too and that uses similar technology but a different engine I believe. Seems there will be some good competition for that kind of technology behind browser and portable graphics.

Except when it was the government and then it was an outrageous waste of public money on boys toys...

Ah, cool. Probably a bit nicer than my one!

Not necessarily! It's one of the original Apple retail locations, so it's smaller than a lot of the newer stores.

The Newcastle store is bigger, so yours probably is as well. :)

Can someone explain something to me. You know with normal phone contracts? At the end you can usually get either a free upgrade, or reduce your monthly tariff. Maybe get a £50 credit or something as well.

We is that the same for iPhone Tariffs? For example my 18 month contract ends 23rd December this year. What would happen at the end of it?

Here's what happened at the end of my original iPhone/3G contract with O2. Tariff stayed the same (though I didn't really enquire re: reducing it) and it was a couple of months before iPhone 4.

When that came out, I got the 8gb version for £20, if I carried on the same tariff. Your network will have deals and stuff for you, just like any other phone.

Your network won`t do anything unless you contact them to upgrade or change your tariff. With a normal phone it`s easy and some good deals to be had but for iPhone don`t know. If you want to keep your existing phone I`m sure they will do some kind of deal but what depends who you get. Retensions dept rather than sales can do better deals to keep your business.

In my case I moved to a 30 day rolling contract with 600 mins, 3000 texts and 1Gb mobile data for £15.32 but with a £9.00 monthly rebate so all that for £6.32 per month, but thats on Virgin Mobile rather than O2 and not for iPhone.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-15193922

Former chief executive and co-founder of US techonlogy giant Apple Steve Jobs has died, the company says. He was 56.

"Steve's brilliance, passion and energy were the source of countless innovations that enrich and improve all of our lives. The world is immeasurably better because of Steve," Apple said.

Jobs announced he was suffering from pancreatic cancer in 2004.

His death came a day after Apple unveiled the new iPhone 4S at its headquarters in California.

:)

http://www.apple.com/stevejobs/

Posted Image

Edited by bsoltan