bsoltan

Apple Thread (Fans And Enthusiasts Edition)

1,474 posts in this topic

The 6S is such a nice upgrade from my 5.

Its like going from my 3GS to 5 again.

I think the 3D Touch will come into its own as more apps use it and I start getting used to shortcuts.

screen feels so nice.

Got a reservation to pick mine up today.

Also going from a 5 to a 6S, going to do Apple financing and get AppleCare bundled etc.

Hopefully pick it up before work, cutting it a bit fine..

So yeah I'm now part of the Apple Club now, so is there some sort of secret hand shake that I can learn now for other Apple people? :P

Joking aside, it's the missus old iPhone 5 from when I bought her a new 6s. After I got Apple to repair the power button for free, and what looks like a new camera and battery from the invoice, it feels like a brand new phone :)

Any tips and tricks for a first time Apple user?

The power button had fully died on it so was really hard to use, but Apple did a product recall on a certain batch of iPhone.

Good ole lucky bastard over here had a phone which was eligible :P

We never bother with 'care' packages from any vendor, if it breaks after the normal warranty period then I either pay to fix it (or do it myself) or buy new

Apple Geniuses

What does this mean for the content on my phone.

cUCT1vS.png

What are my best steps to be able to sync music from my PC but keep my phone content as is?

From what I can read online it only effects the 'iTunes Library info' so Apps, Data etc. all stay? Is it just going to be my music as that's all I had anyway.

I think if you start a new library your phone content stays as it is. When you log into your account on iTunes all the apps will download etc. It's just music you'll need to re-add to the library.

In other news, I've discovered an app called Moonlight today. Let's you stream PC games from GeForce Experience to your iPhone/iPad!! It's pretty awesome! Here's some Titanfall! 

D49C80DA-82E2-41F2-8F05-D7CCA934066D_zps

Apple fans. As I've posted before I've been toying with the idea of getting a Mac to 'try' the OS and things. See if it can replace my PC as  The idea being a 'cheap' Mac Mini, but the well specced 2012 ones hold their value really well on eBay.

One has just come up on another forum for £360 and has RAM and HDD upgrades.

Mac Mini - Late 2012 i5, 16GB RAM, 250GB Crucial M4 SSD

included original 500GB HDD, original 4GB RAM, also included 2nd Bay drive kit( the kit will arrive in a week which i bought from eBay).
boxed, with power cable, booklet, hdmi adapter.
also include apple keyboard and mouse. (has scratches)

It seems like a good deal, ones on ebay go for a similar price without as many upgrades, some can be had less but condition isn't as good.

The reason I'm hesitant is 1. if I don't like OSX I have the hassle of selling it on 2. should I just save/wait and get a MacBook instead to have the portability..

Question: How well do MacBooks behave when they are constantly on power? Will it kill the battery like on Windows laptops or is it clever enough to survive and last a long time even though the majority of time it will be docked/on mains?

2 hours ago, bsoltan said:

The reason I'm hesitant is 1. if I don't like OSX I have the hassle of selling it on

You could install any operating system of your choice on it.

As to the battery issue, the chargers are designed to ignore the battery unti it falls below X percent, at which point it tops up the charge and lets go again.

I'd get a Macbook Pro, I did get a Macbook Pro :)

A lot of what makes OSX easy to use is its gestures, they don't really work with a normal mouse and the Apple mice whilst they can do some of the gestures the mice themselves are rather pants. Really you need a touchpad to utilise it properly. I quite often use the 3 finger swipe to switch desktops back and forth when developing.

If you're going to use OSX with a normal keyboard and mouse I'd fear some of its charm would be lost. I also think it's a great portable OS as it suits general usage.

In terms of replacing a PC I don't think it can unless you're not a PC gamer. It's certainly my preferred choice for Sofa or Bed browsing that's for sure.

Well it wouldn't replace a gaming PC. I would still have one of those, but then have the Mac for general desktop things like web browsing, music, films, that kind of stuff.

it would be useful to be able to 'pick up and go' with that complete machine if I went away somewhere. 

19 hours ago, SuPerNoVi said:

A lot of what makes OSX easy to use is its gestures

If you like gestures, have you tried BetterTouchTool?

I've been using it with my Mac Mini and Magic Trackpad for about 4 years and it's brilliant, totally extends the number of possible gestures and is pretty easy to set up.

Used to be free but is now "donationware".  I happily forked over $10.

https://www.boastr.net

Haven't tried BTT Remote but it looks pretty cool too!

2 hours ago, grrrpoop said:

If you like gestures, have you tried BetterTouchTool?

I've been using it with my Mac Mini and Magic Trackpad for about 4 years and it's brilliant, totally extends the number of possible gestures and is pretty easy to set up.

Used to be free but is now "donationware".  I happily forked over $10.

https://www.boastr.net

Haven't tried BTT Remote but it looks pretty cool too!

Do you have any examples of new gestures you found useful? I think I'd be worried about bloating the amount of possibilities and accidentally doing them.

Sure! That's a valid concern too.

It doesn't really auto-add any new features; you're specifically choosing new gestures to accomplish something / a common task like:

Create new tab in a browser: I rest my first and third fingers on the trackpad and tap with my 2nd finger between them. Sounds weird but makes sense when you do it.

Switch to previous browser tab: rest 2nd finger on trackpad and tap using 1st finger.

Switch to next tab: rest first finger, tap 2nd finger.

Forward and back in Finder window folder history: left and right swipes with 2 fingers.

I think I have a few more but im away from home.

Basically, if there's a keyboard shortcut for something you do a lot, you can map a gesture to it instead, using virtually any 2,3 or 4 finger slide, swipe, tap or click combination you can think of.

I don't remember the last time I accidentally triggerered it. :)

Those gestures sound more complicated than move-click to me, but then I  can't stand gestures on touchpads and immediately turn them off when setting up a machine.

Got my new phone yesterday. It's the 128GB black iPhone 7. I really like the look of the 2-camera system on the 7Plus but not enough to carry a massive phone.

Got a "smoke grey"  leather case for it, which looks and feels great. New design for the 7, much better buttons than the old leather cases.

Slightly lighter than the 6S (in spec and in reality), not sure if the new case is making a bigger difference; it feels much slimmer than my old Tech21 case.  

New home button design not as bad as I'd feared; I hate the newer force touch trackpads that are now standard on MacBooks, and the new home button copies that concept (it doesn't actually click; the Taptic Engine fakes the feeling of a click when you apply pressure). Works really well and I prefer it over the old home button.

Done some really quick low light tests and for sure the new camera is an improvement. It's capturing detail in shadows better too, or maybe that's the wider color gamut on the new display? Looks great.

The speakers are louder now, which can help in several ways, including with the missing headphone port. The issue of being unable to charge whilst playing music and using navigation in my car can be worked around partially by simply playing the radio / CDs. The iPhone's navigation is loud enough to be heard via its own speakers.  But I like streaming music from the phone ( Music), so I either need a new head unit in my car that can support BT properly or a lightning adapter allows 2 cables to connect. Keep seeing pictures on FB poking fun at the situation but can't find anyone selling such an adapter..

The iPhone 7 is pretty similar to the 6S in many ways though, there's no escaping that fact. I only upgraded because, financially, I'm not spending any more money per month and because first hand experience benefits me in my job.  If it's gonna cost you a chunk of money, I think I'd wait for the 7S / 8.. 

Regarding your comments on the usage in the car. What is the deal with CarPlay. Is there a possibiliy for after market units to support it or is it something manufacturers have to support themselves.

I saw a post on imgur of a group designing an iPhone 7 case that has headphone port and dual lightning ports on the outside. Adds some length to the iPhone though.

I have no intention of upgrading from my 6S, I'll see what the 7S is like or probably wait for 8/8S. The 6S is absolutely fine for my needs.

The 6S is a great phone. It's already faster than current Gen Android phones and for many people it doesn't make sense to upgrade.  Arguably, nobody NEEDS an iPhone 7!  My wife isn't interested in upgrading from hers either.

CarPlay is available in newer aftermarket car stereos from Pioneer, Alpine, Kenwood and JVC.  Prices start around $400 and can reach over $1000, which seems a bit steep tbh..  They seem to be standard on a lot of new cars though.  The integration with Siri, your phone, your music library and with Maps is great.

I'd love to get a CarPlay receiver but for $150 or less a decent Pioneer with BT music streaming is more likely..

Or a $20 adapter cable.. 

Good to know about the aftermarket stereos. Unfortunately due to getting a car through work I could never replace the unit but here's hoping Nissan introduce CarPlay in the UK. I think the Maxima has it in the States.

Got my new iPhone 7 today - seems decent enough and nice to have a phone I can switch off and on again without having to wait for it to lock itself

The transfer process from the old phone was also remarkably simple using the backup to iCloud and restore steps.

Ran out of space on my 16gb (I know next one will be 64gb) as i had huge 'other' data etc so decided to restore the phone. I now have around 3gb free but in my wisdom forgot to copy some photos (also not saved to icloud) to my pc before restoring.

I have cloud and local backups from yesterday, is there any way I can access the photos from these backups without going the long way round i.e. install from backup, copy photos, then restore phone? I think there are programmes out there but not sure how effective they are.

In reply to above, my phone froze today so had to restore via itunes, used my backup data and got the pics back along with 1.5gb of extra space that wasn't there yesterday morning.