Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bsoltan

Let's talk monitors

Question

A few people have picked up monitors recently and the recent post about the 4K monitor got me thinking.

I'm in the market for a new screen, something to go with my new build when I get to it.

I currently have a Samsung 2443BW 24" at 1920x1200. Important thing here is the 16:10 ratio.

Is that ratio something that it is still feasible to keep in a market that is moving to 16:9? Should I just accept and move over?

Is 4K unrealistic for a gaming resolution (if games even support it) 3840x2160 almost quadruples the pixel count of my current monitor. What bonkers setup will be needed to run games on that?

I'd like to go bigger than my current 24", although I think 30" may be too big. I plan to mount it on an arm if that is feasible. Recommend any regardless of budget.

Is 3D still nonsense and what is the deal with refresh rates?

24 answers to this question

Short answer: too early for 4K, tech still in infancy, expensive. Give it a few more years. Will need at least £1K VGA to run properly.

3D is gimmick IMO, some may disagree.

16:10 Dell 30" will CHANGE YOUR LIFE. Just ask Al4omega. Current VGA cards can run it single handedly at 2560x1600 perfectly. And, yes, that's 16:10 which is much much better IMO.

madwedge likes this

Well i decided to get a 28" 16:9 but already have a 24" 16:10 so best of both worlds right? Working from home really needs 2 monitors. Dell is the way to go though ben and a 30" would be perfect for you. 

What gfx card are you getting though?

I agree with Sob. Don't bother with 4K yet. You need at least a double, ideally a triple SLI/Crossfire to be able to run games at a decent res. As you say, IF they support those resolutions.

Like 3D I think that 4K is a gimmick at the moment. Especially with TV's where there's nothing that can be displayed at 4K res yet. TV broadcasts are still 720p and BluRay still 1080p. We're a few years away yet from any meaningful utilisation of 4K for the average consumer.

Which is why I am sticking with my 17" 1280*1024 monitor :)

Nige likes this

I would agree with the previous comments on 4K and 3D - Too early for the former, and the latter is gimmicky.

I had the impression that everything was moving towards 16:9 as standard, although I may be mistaken?

Also, if the Occulus Rift and similar take off, won't monitors become a thing of the past?

I would agree with that to some extent. I'm looking forward to getting the Rift, but I only think it'll really work well with simulation type games. I'll def be getting Star Citizen, Elite: Dangerous and maybe the odd driving game. I don't think it will work well with FPS's. I've seen the odd video on YouTube and I'm not that convinced.

I've gone from a 23" to a 27" 2560 x 1440 Dell and the change is dramatic. I love the width that I get with my games and in general. I can easily zoom a word doc or similar out to the extent where I can have three pages on the screen at readable resolution so for general productivity it is a must have.

I imagine a 30" would be even more handy.

@Nige 16:10 is kinda dying and it's a fucking shame, that extra height is so damn useful for general productivity on a PC, not necessarily gaming. Still, Dell make some delicious 30" 16:10 beauties.

As it stands, there still isn't a 16:10 4K monitor however :(

Short answer: too early for 4K, tech still in infancy, expensive. Give it a few more years. Will need at least £1K VGA to run properly.

3D is gimmick IMO, some may disagree.

16:10 Dell 30" will CHANGE YOUR LIFE. Just ask Al4omega. Current VGA cards can run it single handedly at 2560x1600 perfectly. And, yes, that's 16:10 which is much much better IMO.

So very glad that I listened to Sob - 30 inch gaming is amazing

You, I like you.

I wasn't sure if 30" was too big for 2560x1600?

Which model is everyone buying? U3014?

Buy it.

One year on.. monitors have changed a bit.

Is there any reason not to buy the ASUS XB270HU?

fake edit: Unfortunately as I came to post this, I started reading the thread on OcUK and finding out that some people getting these monitors have found a few problems with them; pixels and backlight bleed etc. So I'll continue to review that thread and see what I think: http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18646996&highlight=XB270HU&page=13

Acer Predator XB270HU

• IPS (type) Pannel
  • 27" 2560 x 1440 (16:9) 4ms
  • 144Hz Refresh Rate
  • NVIDIA G-SYNC
  • Display Port, USB 3.0
  • Height adjustment/Pivot/Tilt/Swivel
TFT Central gave it a very favourable review and basically said it is the best gaming monitor. http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/acer_xb270hu.htm

I'll be looking to do Gaming > Film/TV > Photo editing. Hence the IPS pannel choice.

It is only 16:9, but 16:10 monitors are very hard to find and getting a bit long in the tooth now. As I won't really be doing any office/web stuff, mainly gaming etc. I'm gathering I should probably go this way.

fake edit 2: I might have a look for a dell too..

proper edit:

here is a shitty picture of my current monitor

ioLkN4wm.png

proper edit2:

After reading that and a few other bits I'm considering just replacing all three current monitors with DELL U2515Hs. They're only £250..

I'll always be after that 27" goodness though, but you can almost buy two 25" for the price of the 27".

edit3: Just remembered I need some monitors with other connections, ++ for DELL.

This was from Toms build thread when we were talking about screen sizes

I was looking at the X99 stuff, first but the cost to additional performance for gaming is off the chart so I agree entirely.

The 4690K clocks well, I've backed mine down a notch to 4.5GHz for now due to some crashes in BL TPS.  

The higher rated memory may help with raising the BCLK, something I was unable to do at all without crashing.

Liquid cooling I've not looked at so can't comment.  The air cooling I use runs at 56C for most games but it is a BIG ass cooler.

The MSI 970GTX Twin Frozer has seen some epic overclocking from one article I read and I have the 670GTX version so can confirm it's fairly quiet even under load.

My Corsair PSU has lasted far longer then any other I've had in years and is still going strong (touch wood)

The Hero has better power distribution than my Ranger so should be allow slightly more stable overclocking (but only a little)

One other thought regarding the monitor, especially after coming from a less than HD one.

Ultra Wide?  2560 x 1080 more support these days and less fiddly than multiple monitors.

warframe.x64_2014-09-25_23-10-59.jpg

1920 x 1080 but 2560 x 1440 would have the same ratio

masseffect3%202013-10-24%2022-45-26.jpg

This might be a better comparison

warframe.x64_2014-02-18_21-21-30.jpg

warframe.x64_2014-02-21_20-58-48.jpg

What is Ultra Wide like? I was thinking about it - I currently only game on one monitor anyway.

What are the monitors to go for? i'll look at some reviews. Are they decent enough for photo editing? I guess movies will be nice.

They're all a bit new hence my hesitation.

What screens do you have at the mo Ben that you're getting rid of?

For gaming: Samsung SyncMaster 2443

24" 1920x1200 16:10 TN Pannel

Other PC: 2x DELL 2005FPW

21" 1680x1050 16:10 IPS Pannel

I might not get rid, if I can find an appropriate stand. ;)

I like the immersion of ultra widescreen without having a bezel in the way.

I recorded some gameplay which is here though I should get around to recording @ 60FPS now that YouTube supports it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T63jOWEy-P4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAhglN_N_Qc

Currently I have a Dell U2913WM but they do larger high res ones now. 

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u3415w.htm

LG and Samsung do them too (the Dell has the same panel as the LG)

I think I've shown this before but this is how I have it set up 

Desktop.jpg

Thing I can't get my head around with people going for these massive monitors at really high resolutions is you're then required to have a beastly graphics card just to run the games at any reasonable detail and frame rate. Where as I can get away with a mid range graphics card at 1920x1080 and run everything perfectly.

You could have a 23 > 27 inch monitor at 1920x1080 around £200-300 for decent IPS panel. Plus a mid range graphics card roughly £300. Total £500.

Or you could spend £800 on an ultrawide and £500 on the latest high end Nvidia. Total £1300

It's not that I can't afford it it's just the experience difference really isn't worth the extra expense.

Shogun likes this

Looks like a lot of the Ultrawides have come down in price since I looked a month or two ago. Looking at closer to £500 now for a good panel.

Looks like a lot of the Ultrawides have come down in price since I looked a month or two ago. Looking at closer to £500 now for a good panel.

To be clear, you're still of the opinion that 500 quid is a silly price for a monitor, right? Otherwise, I fear I may be lonely :(

I do! I'd never pay that much for one. My IPS235 23 incher only cost £130 ish. I'd love a bigger screen but can't justify the cost.

To be clear, you're still of the opinion that 500 quid is a silly price for a monitor, right? Otherwise, I fear I may be lonely :(

It is, but it brings my previous post total down by £300.

I bought an LG IPS 23" 1920x1080 monitor to be my main one. That cost me £159.99 an absolute steal, response times are great for gaming, colours are sublime, viewing angles are great. Blows my 24" TN Samsung away that's for sure.

The optimum PC gaming experience in my mind has always been, ability to max out details in games, ability to run at 60fps+ at native panel resolution. That's the goal, numero uno!

The overwhelming feeling I just can't get my head around is if you buy a higher res monitor, you need a better graphics card to achieve the same detail and frame rate.

Now graphics cards aren't cheap, especially when you consider you can buy a next gen console for less than £300. I'm just about okay with spending £350 on a mid range Nvidia card to compliment the better PC experience, I am not okay with spending £500 on a high end graphics card though and never will be.

All this for a bigger screen, I've got my monitor on a wall mounted arm. Do you know what I do when I feel like it's too small? Pull it closer by a few inches. 

Yes I know there's pixel density etc to consider in the experience and that last sentence is a bit tongue in cheek, but for me a smooth detailed experience is top of the priority list. Closely followed by colour reproduction (IPS every single god damn day!) and finally size.

I'm not sure but a bit of me suspects there's probably something in these 140hz monitors, I've not experienced it myself but it makes sense technically. If I knew my graphics card could run every game at at least 140fps I'd probably be looking toward that sort of screen upgrade providing it is IPS. I'd rather have one of them then a 30" ultra wide at 60hz I think, if we're really talking about the better experience.

May be of interest here. PC Gamers "Best Gaming Monitors"

http://www.pcgamer.com/the-best-gaming-monitors/