Sign in to follow this  
madwedge

Speedtest - What's your connection speed?

This is mine today.

Posted Image

Just placed an order for 50Mb though seeing as it's only £14 more than I'm currently paying (£21) so will provide more value for my money. I don't have a phone line or TV package just Broadband, so that's why it seems quite expensive at first glance.

I always get buyers remorse though, I'm half tempted to cancel and just work around the peak time limits like I have done for the last three years. I'll have to take my sensible hat off and wear the wacky poka dot one!

Posted Image

It seems that my IP profile has been set to this as I get exactly the same everytime I test.

BT assured me I should get around 28Mb/s when I switched to Infinity.

Hmm, me thinks an Indian call centre session is looming :P

Posted Image

Seems a little high to me. Probably between 19 to 21Mb/s really. Used to be 23.5 but started to get disconnects so it was tweeked down a bit for stability. Though it`s been much better since I moved the router to the back of the house where the line comes in. Router now connects to the rest of the network using Homeplugs.

Edited by Fall Guy

How much are you paying for that?

I saw your rant about existing customers having to pay more so assume you got a decent package. I'm also with virgin and thinking of changing my package.

Just placed an order for 50Mb though seeing as it's only £14 more than I'm currently paying (£21) so will provide more value for my money. I don't have a phone line or TV package just Broadband, so that's why it seems quite expensive at first glance.

He's paying £35 for BB only. I'm on XL tv plus L phone with free evenings and weekends. I was on XL Broadband and upgraded to 50Mb a few months ago and the difference was an extra £5 per month. So it depends on what you already have. Best to ring them and see what they offer you.

Yeah it's £35 for broadband only, as in you have no telephone line rental. I bought my house about 2 and a half years ago and everyone we know has our mobile numbers so we really don't need a phone line or want the hassle of cold calls.

The new customer deal was 3 months for £30 and £35 after that, they didn't offer me this but after filling in the complaints form on their site I finally got somewhere and they offered me that which apparently is available to existing customers despite what the other woman told me.

Obviously if you've got the TV, Phone and BB package it's cheaper but I have no need for any other packages or want to pay that much extra a month.

I'm currently on 10MB package L i think with phone line and also mobile broadband with 1gb allowance and free netbook which i pay £42 for. The netbook deal was on a 24 month contract which has now ended and to be honest the virgin signal is appalling so i have no interest in renewing that, my 3 signal through iphone tethering is much better.

May give them a ring and see what they can come up with.

Also one thing worth mentioning, the Virgin Super Hub does now have Modem Only mode. So you don't have to use the in built router, this was one thing putting me off as it's not a very feature rich router and apparently the wireless isn't great.

My new place has a reported max of 1.5Mbps, no LLU and no cable.

T_T

Oh noes, when we going to play some SC2 again anyway Ben?

Also one thing worth mentioning, the Virgin Super Hub does now have Modem Only mode. So you don't have to use the in built router, this was one thing putting me off as it's not a very feature rich router and apparently the wireless isn't great.

Spoke to virgin today and managed to get 30mb broadband, free evening and weekend calls, and a Tivo HD box for the bedroom for £30/month with free install. :(

UK call centre as well so it was surprisingly easy, 3 week wait for install though.

Laptop through Three iphone tether

Posted Image

Edited by paulod

I know you're not asking me, but I pay £69.45 a month for:

XXL Broadband (50Mb)

XL TV (V+ HD Box, not Tivo)

L Phone (Evening and Weekends + Caller Display)

I'm happy with the Broadband, after a year of pain on 20Mb (I didn't upgrade until the issue was sorted).

Last but one firmware on the Superhub caused it to drop connection a few times a day. The latest firmware buggered up wireless signal strength and penetration initially, but it settled down after a day or so. Wireless isn't brilliant, but good enough for streaming to an iPad and the wife's eBay/YouTube/Facebook stuff.

Telly is great imho - much better picture quality than Sky. Have very few problems with the box (a reboot every other month or so is all).

Phone - Don't use it a lot tbh - calls outside the package are expensive. I average £7.00 per month on top of the above (mainly calls to mobiles).

Edited by Nige

Not loyalty or otherwise - I just can't be bothered to keep pushing them down tbh.

It was £4 extra a month to move up to 50Mb about 8 months ago (and so worth it - much quieter up there!).

I have a mate at work who threatens to leave them every 3 months or so - last time he got 3 months free broadband.

To be fair, I was having a shite time with broadband, and "support"... didn't - I emailed the CEO direct, and was in constant contact with a bloke in head office. Eventually, it got sorted - and I suspect they just got round to network upgrades - but I didn't pay anything for broadband over that period - Got 3 months initially (1 month, 1 month, 1 month) then head office gave me back 9 months at the end of it all. I did have bb - but erratic pings, low download and shite upload.

I'm not sure if it's a good deal or not compared with others, but I'm more than happy with the Broadband at the moment, I like the telly (even though I watch only 8 of the 165 channels) and the phone I can live with because I do get a cheaper package than without.

And also it's convenient - my house had no aerial on the roof when we moved 3 years ago, and the BT socket is next to the front door and nowhere near any power sockets. I did once try to get BT to move it (and told them I'd pay), but never managed to get through the bureaucracy, gave up and stayed with Virgin. For me, the hassle and expense of getting all the necessary connections in place was too much - both in time and money. The VM cables were in precisely the right place for telly, phone and bb, so it made sense to go with them.

Edited by Nige