Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
madwedge

Speedtest - What's your connection speed?

217 posts in this topic

30Mb has traffic management though, that was one of the main reasons I upgraded to 50Mb otherwise I'd have stayed on 10Mb. If you're happy though cool :)

What's your total cost per month including line rental just out of interest?

That £30 includes my phone line rental as well, get my main tv through sky which of course i pay separately for and currently got a half price for 6 month thing with them for threatening to leave.

Had my BB with virginmedia for at least 8 years now so they have given me a decent discount for my loyalty and service has always been spot on.

Went via the retentions dept to get this deal, said i was thinking of going to sky and this was first deal he offered me, would have been happy getting the 30mb for same price as new customers but he knocked off a few quid and gave me TV and Tivo box as well, good service.

Was also £30 installation fee due to getting 30mb as opposed to 20mb on xl package as i've just found out.

Edited by paulod

Sky unlimited FTL. This is with an ethernet cable and after numerous phone calls to Sky. Even cost me a game on SC2 recently.

Posted Image

Any recommendation for new ISPs? Dartford, South East London

Hardly a fair test lol, it looks like you're on the server you are pinging :lol:

Try a test to Birmingham or something.

fair enough, birmingham, lower ping and upload, but still crazy speeds:-

Posted Image

Be

Customer service is in Budapest rather than Delhi. However they have always been helpful (and speak excellent English) and on the rare occasions that I have needed to speak to them the problem has been sorted out straight away, with only one exception. That was when BT disconnected my line and wired it to another one at the exchange. That took a bit longer and a visit from BT as I could ring out but no incoming calls or net. They also don`t traffic manage, I have majorly abused my line from time to time not heard a peep. Upto 24Mbs with phone (free evening/weekends) for £28.98 all in. My download speeds are fairly consistant as well be it day/evenings or after 12 unlike when I was with Virgin.

You've got LLU capability so you probably want to go for either BT or Sky LLU Internet.

On the otherhand it says you've got Virgin Media Cable so it might be worth looking at that. Try doing a line test on their website. You never know, you might get the 'Up to 50Mb' line!

On the otherhand it says you've got Virgin Media Cable so it might be worth looking at that. Try doing a line test on their website. You never know, you might get the 'Up to 50Mb' line!

Virgin cable uses fibre to the cabinet then coax cable to the home for broadband so you wouldn't be able to do a line test as the phone line isn't used (apart from on there national service which i'e heard is rubbish).

I would go Virgin Cable first, if you can get it, or BE if not.

I was with BE previously. Best BB provider I ever had, all round.

I only switched to VM because of bad wiring at my new house and distance from exchange, which meant ADSL struggled.

Last time i posted i had this speed:

Posted Image

For the life of me i cannot work out what the fuck is up with my ping...i have tried a spare filter, spare router....yet its the same result..crap ping :)

Posted Image

And this doesnt look too clever:

Tracing route to www.bbc.net.uk [212.58.244.66]

over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 84 ms 99 ms 99 ms speedtouch

2 20 ms 19 ms 20 ms 85-210-0-1.dynamic.dsl.as9105.com [85.210.0.1]

3 132 ms 106 ms 107 ms 80.40.155.120

4 114 ms 115 ms 116 ms 80.40.155.129

5 116 ms 158 ms 116 ms xe-10-3-0.bragg002.loh.as13285.net [80.40.155.25

]

6 111 ms 111 ms 110 ms xe-7-3-0.scr001.loh.as13285.net [80.40.155.66]

7 115 ms 113 ms 114 ms host-78-144-0-121.as13285.net [78.144.0.121]

8 35 ms 35 ms 36 ms bbc-pp-sov.as13285.net [78.144.5.1]

9 113 ms 111 ms 111 ms 212.58.238.149

10 113 ms 113 ms 113 ms 212.58.239.62

11 114 ms 113 ms 112 ms 212.58.251.44

12 114 ms 113 ms 113 ms bbc-vip111.telhc.bbc.co.uk [212.58.244.66]

Trace complete.

EDIT: IT appears TalkTalk is having significant problems with many people reporting high pings, lag, low d/l speeds! :(

and indeed...it has now sorted itself! though that took only 2 days for them to sort it!

Posted Image

Edited by SgtDave

That may be so, but for what I do online (browse) it's not an issue. I guess if I played games online it would be more of an issue.

It's taking nearly half a second to ping a web site too. That's ridiculous.

It's taking nearly half a second to ping a web site too. That's ridiculous.

I know that, my point was that half a second ping when browsing websites does not really bother me that much. It may be horrendous, it may be ridiculous, but if it's all I've ever known that it just isn't an issue.

It's not like I lay awake at night wishing my browsing sessions would be a few seconds faster!