Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
madwedge

Speedtest - What's your connection speed?

217 posts in this topic

This is mine:

4429589127.png

I've got Sky Broadband Unlimited which I get free with my package, and I think it's great. Websites load quickly, Netflix streams in Super HD, no issue downloading On Demand quickly, Xbox Live is fine.

The step up is to spend something ridiculous like £25 a month extra for Sky Fibre, which I cant really justify.

Well my PC is (finally) set up in my new home. Have had to downgrade from Fibre to Broadband as the property is Exchange only and they haven't upgraded that yet.

Router is downstairs behind the TV and my PC is in the small bedroom/office upstairs. Luckily Powerline adapters seem to work fine and I'm getting pretty good speeds. I'm happy because Sky originally estimated my speeds to be between 6 and 12 Mbps! 

4517621954.png

Fall Guy likes this

I'm happy because Sky originally estimated my speeds to be between 6 and 12 Mbps! 

Before we moved, we were quoted 2Mbps maximum, so I just went with BT on a cheap deal.Upon arrival, we were consistently getting 6 - I've never dared change provider in case the speed disappears!

Something else weird has been happening with my mobile signal lately too. Have been in the house just over 3 weeks now and when I first moved in, throughout the whole house I was only getting 3 or 4 bars of 3G. Was still ok signal though (around 5Mbps) and we survived tethering all our devices to my iPhone. 

Last week though I was lying in bed an noticed I had 1 bar of 4G! Did a speed test and I was getting about 10 Mbps, which was about the same as my broadband (which has been up about a week and a half now). 

Last night though, again lying in bed, I had 3 bars of 4G!! Did another speed test, and I almost reached 38Mbps download speed and 16Mbps upload!! I thought that was incredible! I'm hoping that next week I'll have full 5 bars of 5G!!  Pic here of the test I did last night!  That upload speed though! Even on Fibre back at my old flat I only had 6Mbps upload!

2CADF825-DD6E-40A6-8F19-123B5E359E9F_zps

Edited by madwedge

Lying in bed wishing I hadn't woken up so early and decided to test my LTE speed.

I get about 3 bars in my apartment but this is still faster than my cable internet connection (20/3).

image.png

Got annoyed that my cable speed was slower than my fucking cellphone and called Charter (cable company) to ask why I'm paying $60 a month for 20Mbit, when their mailshot offers that come through the door every damn day show 30Mbit as the baseline (at half the price).

Service rep was super helpful, I didn't have to be a dick or threaten to leave their service, and this is the result:

4722924598.png

This might just be conspiricy theory bullshit, but someone on another forum claimed that ISPs could tell when you're using Speedtest (or similar testing websites) and they boost your connection for the duration. Bit like the VW emissions scandal that's going on now. Is this possible? Sounds very fishy.

I could believe it; I don't hold the ISPs in particularly high regard when it comes to ethics or fairness.

My only other metric is that I could barely stream 4K Amazon content before and it seems a lot more capable now!

This might just be conspiricy theory bullshit, but someone on another forum claimed that ISPs could tell when you're using Speedtest (or similar testing websites) and they boost your connection for the duration. Bit like the VW emissions scandal that's going on now. Is this possible? Sounds very fishy.

Virgin Media, have Speedtest servers so that you can max your connection pretty easily with them. It always picks them when I run Speedtest. I know my line is capable of the advertised speed because things that are capable of providing the bandwidth like Steam for example max it out quite nicely.

I'm pretty sure they're not artificially reporting back speeds though because I use the same tests for testing my WiFi devices and I get much lower speeds in certain areas of the house.

On 13/06/2015 at 1:22 PM, bsoltan said:

Just did a new one to see if mine was still ok.

4429795034.png

5233500666.png

Hmm having a server in the same town seems like cheating a bit.

Good to see the speed has stayed consistent though.