Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
culps

Steam In Home Streaming

Question

Just popped up on Steam that I can stream games from my PC. Does it work? Anyone got it working and how difficult is it?

34 answers to this question

I'm going to be giving this a go soon, I'm hoping to stream games on the HTPC in my living room from the gaming PC in the bedroom. Having some unrelated issues though so probably won't be able to give it a try for a couple of days.

Had a crack at it yesterday culps, and it works surprisingly well.

Streamed to a old laptop which won't run any games and it was faultless.

Graphics good sound good, no lag.

madwedge likes this

This is quite good!  What about streaming to a different house via VPN?! lol

Wow. Just given this a quick go and it's pretty damn impressive. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to get my 360 controller working on the HTPC (yay Linux!) so I wasn't able to play for any real length of time, but got everything streaming via homeplugs at full quality (1080p, more or less highest settings on all games) with surround sound.

All very easy to do. Just sign into Steam on both machines and the normal "Play" button becomes "Stream" instead. I was even able to update sodding Uplay from the remote PC (it doesn't seem to need it installed on both machines thankfully).

If you don't have the game installed there's a little drop down menu so you can choose which machine to installed it on.

The only thing that strikes me as a bit odd is that the game plays as normal on the control PC except with no sound, so if someone was to mess around with the keyboard or mouse they could screw with your game from the other room.

One slight problem I encountered that can probably be overcome when I have more time, I couldn't get Skyrim working properly as I run it from a batch file in order to use the SkyUI mod which doesn't work when launched from Steam directly.

Other than that pretty chuffed with it. :D

The VPN question is interesting wedge?

Not sure it would work though as the IP address ranges would be different at each end of the tunnel.

Saying that if you put a fixed secondary address in your nic matching the other side.............hmmm, might give that a whirl.

@surfdude. I tested skyrim and it worked straight away? Wonder why yours didn't. The host PC running the game is slightly weird though. Did you test messing with kb or mouse?

@surfdude. I tested skyrim and it worked straight away? Wonder why yours didn't. The host PC running the game is slightly weird though. Did you test messing with kb or mouse?

Skyrim does work but not with the SkyUI mod, as that requires the script extender which has to be launched separately. Thinking about it I could probably add it to Steam as a shortcut and launch it from that. Don't have time to test it at the moment though.

If anyone was wondering, I tried streaming a non-Steam game that I'd added but, unsurprisingly, that didn't work. It launches the game fine but only on the control PC.

I did try messing with the keyboard and mouse and confirmed that I could control the game from both machines. Might be annoying if you've got kids in the house or something.

Hmm. I added the SKSE Loader as a shortcut and tried streaming that but it just launched on the gaming PC like a non-Steam game would. That's a shame.

Edit: Nevermind got it working. A slightly complex solution involving renaming multiple .exe files.

How is resolution handled?  For example if Skyrim is playing at 1080p on the master computer, but it's stream to a laptop which is only 1280 x 720, for example, will it play at the correct res, or would you need to adjust the original computer?

How is resolution handled?  For example if Skyrim is playing at 1080p on the master computer, but it's stream to a laptop which is only 1280 x 720, for example, will it play at the correct res, or would you need to adjust the original computer?

There's an option to limit the resolution in Steam (under "Advanced Client Options"). I only have the option for 1080p, 720p or 480p showing.

It shouldn't really be necessary though, unless you have problems with performance. I streamed to my laptop at full 1080p (over wireless even!) even though my display is 1280x800 and it worked fine. It even put a letter box in to preserve the aspect ratio.

madwedge likes this

What about the other way, i.e my games pc runs at 1280*1024 but i would want to stream to my media pc connected to my 1080P telly...

What about the other way, i.e my games pc runs at 1280*1024 but i would want to stream to my media pc connected to my 1080P telly...

Presumably you'd have to up the settings on the control PC, otherwise it would just upscale it. You should be able to do it remotely though, you get the launchers and full options and everything. Might be inconvenient if you keeping switching machines though.

The VPN question is interesting wedge?

Not sure it would work though as the IP address ranges would be different at each end of the tunnel.

Saying that if you put a fixed secondary address in your nic matching the other side.............hmmm, might give that a whirl.

I imagine that it would be quite slow unless you had a very good connection (probably 20/20 at least, but more importantly, a very low ping).  IP addresses shouldn't matter as long as both ends can see the LAN on either end.

Just been messing around with it and it's rather cool!

You can Stream Non-Steam games! Managed to stream Minecraft (Not Tekkit yet thought, but shouldn't be too hard) and it was working like a charm until the missus bolloxed me for installing "more crap" on her PC hah

I didn't realise but you can also remote install games which is very handy.

Also you can just use Steam In-Home Streaming as a remote desktop if you want, on the host PC just Alt-Tab out of the game and you have full use of the desktop. This isn't even a bug, it's a feature :)

Just tried this on my netbook with mixed results, it does work but the frame rate and response time of the controls jump all over the place. I dropped the resolution on the netbook and it helped but it still is not really playable at the moment, I will have another go at it at a later date although I do suspect that my netbook is just not powerful enough to get it to work properly.

I used to (sometimes) play FM14 on my desktop via TeamViewer and small laptop.

This is much better. (Desktop monitor is 1080p, laptop is 720p; it just shrunk the image rather than the desktop's resolution.) Might try something intensive next, just to see.

Will have to try this out on the wife's shitty, weak arsed, 11 inch netbook!

Nige likes this

Played it on a Samsung Intel Atom netbook (can't remember the full specs now) and it worked like a dream...apart from the shite signal from the Sky rourer :/

Anyone still using this Steam Streaming function?  I'm in the process of moving house (no completion date yet, but soon!), and the wife as actually given me to use the boxish third bedroom (6.5' x 8.8') as a games room for my PC (until child number two is on the way anyway)!

As the main PC will be upstairs, I was toying with the idea of having a media type PC in the lounge next to the TV. I'd like the option to play some games on this PC via the Steam Steaming service if possible.

I was just wondering about specs. I see Shogun has used a Netbook with an Intel Atom, which isn't the most powerful processor in the world. Can I assume that pretty much any spec would work?  It's not something I'd want to chuck a load of money at.  Would it even need a graphics card?

Thanks

Anyone still using this Steam Streaming function?  I'm in the process of moving house (no completion date yet, but soon!), and the wife as actually given me to use the boxish third bedroom (6.5' x 8.8') as a games room for my PC (until child number two is on the way anyway)!

As the main PC will be upstairs, I was toying with the idea of having a media type PC in the lounge next to the TV. I'd like the option to play some games on this PC via the Steam Steaming service if possible.

I was just wondering about specs. I see Shogun has used a Netbook with an Intel Atom, which isn't the most powerful processor in the world. Can I assume that pretty much any spec would work?  It's not something I'd want to chuck a load of money at.  Would it even need a graphics card?

Thanks

I started using it on mine recently after putting Windows on my HTPC. Looking back at one of my earlier posts, I'm not sure how I thought that the surround sound was working; it only streams in stereo and, from what I can see, always has. I must've been fooled by the PLII or something. :wacko:

I wouldn't have thought specs would matter too much. My HTPC does have a graphics card, as the onboard GPU didn't handle motion on 24p movies well, but it's only a GT610, not a proper gaming one.

There is a software render option if the system really is too low.

Remember to allow for the controller. I couldn't get my X360 pad working under Linux, which one of many reasons why I put Windows 8 on it.

That's good to know, thanks Surfdude. I would want to use a controller for certain games. Would be good to have some friends over to play FIFA 15. Played it for the first time recently and loved it.

If you want to stream Origin games make sure it doesn't automatically start when you boot the PC and have it shut down when you exit the game. For some reason, if Origin is already running the game won't open on the client PC.

Also, this might just be a quirk with my system, but I found that if I quit and relaunch a game the network is much slower, sometimes to the point of being unplayable. If you, like me, play the odd game of FIFA here and there it can be a bit annoying to reboot in between.

Thought it was Steam games only! How does Origin games work? Is this when you add non-steam games to Steam?

Well you were talking about streaming FIFA. Did you forget it was EA? :P

Yep, you can (in theory) stream any game by adding it as a non-steam game. As I say, Origin can be a little uncooperative and some of the launchers can be a bit of a nuisance as well (FIFA's is okay, you just need a keyboard or mouse or something that simulates the Enter button for the launcher).

You can also alt-tab out of games and basically use it as a remote desktop. Obviously you'd need to use a resource light game if you wanted to do anything complex like launch another application.

Well you were talking about streaming FIFA. Did you forget it was EA? :P

You know what. I didn't think at all! I just assumed I'd be able to play FIFA on Steam! D'oh!! Lol