Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
culps

Steam In Home Streaming

Question

Just popped up on Steam that I can stream games from my PC. Does it work? Anyone got it working and how difficult is it?

34 answers to this question

You know what. I didn't think at all! I just assumed I'd be able to play FIFA on Steam! D'oh!! Lol

The very idea that we'd be able to play our legally-bought games on a single platform of our choice. What nonsense! ;)

madwedge likes this

I don't know anything about it to be fair. But, yes, I guess it would work. I'll have to research into it and see if it'll be suitable for my needs. Thanks.

I'll be getting a Steam Link as long as they work. Quick question, Can you buy 2 Steam Link's and stream to two different locations? I'm not looking to stream to both at the same time.

http://store.steampowered.com/universe/link

I'm only guessing but i'd imagine it'd stream to which ever one is on OR you'd be able to name them differently on the network and select which one to stream to.

I looked up the nVidia Shield Console and the Steam Link and I'd like to avoid using controllers for absolutely everything.  Most of the time I'd like to use Keyboard and Mouse (wireless from across the lounge) unless these devices also support that.

I'm only guessing but i'd imagine it'd stream to which ever one is on OR you'd be able to name them differently on the network and select which one to stream to.

Assuming the Link works the same way as the normal client, it's the other way around; you select where to stream from rather than to. As long as the control PC is logged into the account you should just able to select "stream" from whichever Link/client you're currently using.

I'd recently acquired a Windows 8.1 7 inch tablet for £50!  It's a HP Stream 7 and is supposed to be about £100, but this Money Saving group on Facebook had managed to arrange a deal with MicroSoft for £50 off!!  I thought it would be rude not to snap one up!  What's good is that it runs the full version of Windows 8.1 too, not the Windows 8 RT version.

I was browsing the net about Steam Streaming and devices to use, and found an article about using Windows tablets!  It hadn't crossed my mind to try my Stream 7!! 

Anywho, I installed Steam onto it and downloaded and installed Dawn of War II as an example. I ran the game via the Stream option and I've just run the Graphics Demo on Ultra settings!  Works perfectly!!  I think I've found the device I need! lol.

Now to set it up how I want it which will be along the lines of this vid. I need a Mini USB to USB Converter, A USB to HDMI OTG Converter to connect the Stream 7 to my TV. A Bluetooth Keyboard and Mouse. And that should be it! 

Edit - In hindsight it's probably not practical. It helps to actually watch the video to the end!  You cannot charge the device at the same time as it only has one Micro USB port, which will be used by the USB to HDMI converter!  Shame! Probably means I'm back to looking at HTPC options.

Edit 2 - Unless I get one of these (or similar) which will charge the tablet at the same time! Hmmmmmm........Pricey though!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Plugable-Charging-Nextbook-Simultaneously-Extended-Black/dp/B00OVDE0GC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1429736365&sr=8-1&keywords=plugable+pro8

Successfully got the non-Steam game Elite Dangerous working on my HP Stream 7 tablet!!

7BF1A58B-0C48-4AE8-BC7C-C20D8BFFAF4C_zps

jandes likes this