It’s been a while, what with Left 4 Dead throwing a spanner into the works, but Valve are back on track with the Team Fortress 2 updates with The Scout Update.
Just like The Heavy Update, information is being dripfed over the next week and this post will be updated accordingly.
Skip the jump for details…
Tuesday 24th Feb
And it’s out, although due to the idiocy of the community we’ll be unlocking the shooty-bangs before the equipment that actually makes the Scout useful.
Here’s the changelist for the update –
Updates to Team Fortress 2 have been released. The updates will be applied automatically when your Steam client is restarted. The specific changes include:
• Added The Force-A-Nature, The Sandman, and Bonk!
• Added 35 new Scout achievements
• Added crit boosted on/off sound effects
• Added new sounds for upgraded teleporters
• Added new sound for a fully charged medic dying
• Add bonus points section to scores
• Scouts earn a bonus point for killing Medics who are actively healing a target
• Added several new speech concepts, mostly hooked up to new Scout lines
• Added new “Remember last weapon between lives” option to the Multiplayer Advanced dialog
• Spies can now control which weapon the enemy team sees them holding. Hitting the “last disguise” key while disguised updates the disguise to show the Spy’s currently held weapon
• Added several new Arena mode announcer speech events.
• Added “First Blood” to Arena mode
• Removed 2x item respawn times in arena
• Changed backstab handling to fix facestabs
• Spies disguised as enemy team can now see player IDs for enemies
• Added community maps: cp_egypt, arena_watchtower, and cp_junction
• Updated cp_fastlane with Arttu’s new version
• Added new input for forward speed modifier to FuncTrainTrain
• Added TeleportToPathTrack input to func_tracktrain
• Fixed a bug where players would sometimes gib from non-gib damage kills
• Fixed stat screen showing an entry for a class called “map.”
• Fixed item model panels not using team skins
– Fixed obscure bug where spectators were able to carry the flag
Monday 23rd Feb
In another of the internet’s worst-kept-secrets, the Force-A-Nature has been revealed. Big, powerful and with loadsa kickback, here’s the spiele…
It Packs A Wallop!
Any outdoorsman will tell you the most frustrating part of hunting is when a deer simply FALLS DOWN when shot, and doesn’t FLY BACKWARD into the forest. Those days are over.
Anything this baby hits better PACK A LUNCH, ’cause it is going for a ride!
Hold Onto Your HAT!
If you happen to be AIRBORNE when firing (for example, leaping from your car after spotting a buck), you’ll be PROPELLED into the sky, where you can hunt birds!
The Hunter’s Lament!
A common complaint with most shotguns is that they reload TOO FAST and hold TOO MANY shells.
THE FORCE-A-NATURE has solved these problems! This two-shotter loads nice and slow, so you can SAVOR every precious moment.
100% Guaranteed to be made in Portugal!
There’s also a Scout tee available in the store and a poll to try and decide the first unlockable.
Friday 20th Feb
Another community map joins the official lineup, alongside tweaks to the community map Fast Lane.
created by Sean ‘Heyo’ Cutino
A Dustbowl-style control point map, Egypt is visually striking, full of great combat spaces, and features some really interesting uses of vertical space. Classes with the ability to ascend rapidly (Soldiers, Demomen, and Scouts using the new scattergun unlockable ) have lots of options for traversing the arenas. In addition, the ruins provide Engineers with a large number of potential sentrygun locations.
Fastlane is an update to one of the first community maps we shipped. This release features a wide variety of changes, from spawn and capture timer tweaks, to geometry and art modifications, to exploit fixes.
Thursday 19th Feb
The next unlockable is unveiled and its another consumable. Hot on the heels of The Sandvich comes the Bonk! Energy Drink, which assumedly offers an insane speed boost (just enough to get the Scout past that Sentry unharmed?) followed by a trudge through carbonated molasses (meaning that once past the Sentry, you’re crawling to the intelligence).
Runnin’ rings around all them molasses-slow dummies out there on the battle- field is thirsty frickin’ work. But when it comes to quenchin’ that thirst, only one thermonuclear thirst detonator packs all the “Atomic Punch” you’ll ever need. Bonk! is fulla radiation, which as we all know is pretty great for givin’ people superpowers. Just one can’ll blast ya into a few-second rush of radioactive energy so powerful you’ll be dodgin’ bullets like they ain’t even there
Note: Bonk! contains several hundred times the daily recommended allowance of sugar. After the beneficial effects of the radiation wear off, drinkers have reported experiencing feelings of lethargy that can last several seconds. Reading this sentence absolves Bonk! of any liability for killing sprees inspired by or deaths resulting from the ingestion of Bonk! Enjoy Bonk! responsibly… Or by the case!
There’s also the achievement list, so begins the guessing game on what they are and how to achieve them.
Update – people have been pointing out two ‘Easter Eggs’. The map in the background at the site looks interesting (Dual Payload?), as does the weapon the Scout is carrying (Double-Barrelled Shotgun?)…
Update 2 – Achievement details now available. Third weapon is almost definitely a double-barrelled shotgun called the Force-a-Nature which has a kickback effect on the wielder.
Wednesday 18th Feb
Community Maps are the name of todays game, with official recognition given to Watchtower (a map based on the new Arena gametype) and Junction, a Control Point map.
created by Joshua ‘JoshuaC’ Shiflet
An Arena map that plays unlike any of Valve’s Arena maps, with a heavy focus on vertical space and long, open sight lines. Control of the central building is a key decision that teams must wrestle over. More Sniper friendly than most Arena maps, it’s a perfect complement to the Scout update. Batter up!
created by Sean ‘Heyo’ Cutino
A Gravel-Pit style map that the community has been heckling us to include for months. Junction is a sharp contrast to Watchtower. It’s full of tight spaces and short sight lines, which create combat opportunities dominated by ambushes and explosive weaponry.
Tuesday 17th Feb
To start with, we have the first* unlockable weapon – The Sandman. I’ll let Valve do the talking…
You Scouts are gonna love this highly collectible bat that smacks baseballs at the other team, stunning the living crap outta anybody dumb, slow, drunk, mute or Australian enough to get in the way.
The farther the ball flies before ricocheting offa some chucklehead’s skull, the longer he’s gonna be stunned. And guys who think they’re tough because they’re invulnerable? It works on them too.
Now the bad news: You can’t double jump when you’re carrying this little beauty. On the other hand, double jumping never put anybody in a coma.
* – not neccessarily the first too unlock, rather the first to be revealed.