Obviously not content with HMV snapping the UK rights to the mega-expensive Sex-pest Edition of Modern Warfare 2, GAME have lept in there to attempt to re-assert themselves as numero-uno in the high-street Modern Warfare 2 Special Edition war.
Called the Veteran package, it comes with the same ‘Hardened Edition’ as the Prestige Edition (meaning alongside the unique content, you get the game (*shock*), a Steelbook game case, art book and Call of Duty on XBLA/PSN), only instead of the bargain-basement night vision goggles & stand you get a doll…
Not any doll mind you, this is a 1/6th scale, 12″ tall ‘“Captain Soap MacTavish” ultra-premium ARTFX Statue‘ as sculpted by Japanese modelling maestros, Kotobukiya.
Game has the following too say…
Modern Warfare 2: Veteran Package – GAME Exclusive Limited Edition! (X360, PS3)
Got a GAME Reward Card?* Then you can order our GAME Exclusive & UK Exclusive version of Modern Warfare 2 and get…
- Unique Gift Box Packaging
- “Captain Soap MacTavish” ultra-premium ARTFX Statue sculpted by Kotobukiya
- 1/6-scale, 12″ tall if standing upright
- Depicts Modern Warfare veteran Cpt. “Soap” MacTavish of Task Force 141, equipped with custom snow camouflage and weaponry as seen in “Cliffhanger” mission from Modern Warfare 2
- 3 sets of interchangeable weapons and arms, including: Dual ice-climbing pickaxes (pictured) Dual .45 caliber pistols, M14 Enhanced Battle Rifle (affixes to Soap’s back when not in use)
- Environmental ice base stores alternate weapons when not in use
The Modern Warfare 2 Hardened Edition, including…
- Premium, special-edition SteelBook™ case with custom artwork by Infinity Ward
- Hardbound art book, “Behind the Lines”, designed by artists at Infinity Ward, featuring the art of Modern Warfare 2
- Call of Duty Classic full downloadable game. For the first time ever, Infinity Ward’s 2003 award-winning game that launched a franchise comes to consoles. Relive the original Call of Duty experience in HD; winner of over 80 Game of the Year Awards and 50 Editor’s Choice Awards
- Modern Warfare 2 full game
All of this is available to Reward Card holders only* for just £119.99, making this one of the most truly collectible and best value versions of Modern Warfare 2 this year.
Get yours before they’re all gone – Preorder for Xbox 360 and PS3 today!
Now, I love special editions as much as the next man when they offer something special (after all, I ordered the Fallout 3 lunchbox as soon as I could – the Pip-boy even sits on my shelf next too my BioShock Big Daddy, foam Darwinians and Oblivion Septim coin…), and the inclusion of a properly sourced, manufactured and ultimately unique sculpture is really good, but in the grand scheme of things, is it not all just getting a bit silly?
£120 is a lot of money, especially for what is essentially another of GAME’s ‘me too’ special editions (they did the same with Fallout 3 after missing out on the aforementioned lunchbox, although the BoS figure was not too the standard of Kotobukiya’s output), but above all it cements the fact that Activision are just in everything for money.
No longer can they simply be classified as ‘the new EA’… The sheer ill-will they’re generating from the masses, coupled with the power-mad ramblings of Kotick move them swiftly into ‘cartoon supervillian’ territory!
Send in Batman I say!